Looking at the clear sky right now and (any astronomers here?)...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
From YouTube Crash Course Astronomy #2:

Twinkling happens because the air over our heads is turbulent and as it blows past, it distorts the incoming light from stars making them appear to slightly shift position and brightness several times per second.

Is this what I witnessed when I said I thought I saw a star moving in my OP ?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Naked eye astronomy can be interesting in it's own right. I had a crack at it, but having the attention span of a worm I immediately became interested in tracking satellites...and then decoding their signals....and then bouncing ham radio signals off them...

I mat look like a Ukranian born GRU assassin, but I'm a huge closet nerd.

You're out of the closet mate.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
From YouTube Crash Course Astronomy #2:

Twinkling happens because the air over our heads is turbulent and as it blows past, it distorts the incoming light from stars making them appear to slightly shift position and brightness several times per second.

Is this what I witnessed when I said I thought I saw a star moving in my OP ?

It may have been a satellite. The twinkling thing wouldn't make a star look like it's moving as such just wobbling on the spot .

Reactions: C R

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I use the Night Sky app.
It is very easy to use just hold it up to the sky to see what is up there. or down (it will show up below the horizon too)
Also shows the space station and other interesting stuff.
It is great for planet spotting.

Drago

Legendary Member
For satellite tracking I use Heavens Above. There are many such amazing apps out there now.

You're out of the closet mate.

I'm like Tony Stark, a hyper intelligent man of action. It's the billionaire bit where I went wrong.

Top Bottom