Looking for a compromise between a £1000 Boardman SLR 8.9 road bike and a £125 Halfords Apollo MTB.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
What £800 bikes are you looking at as the Crossfire is half that?
My budget is £800 and I've been looking at quite a few bikes online and getting feedback. I'd say that the crossfire is about entry level for what I want from it.

I'm happy with mechanical discs and I'm not fussed about internal cable routing. My main consideration is the quality of the components and the build.

The Apollo was feature packed when I bought it, but none of those features were designed to be used for thousands of miles of cycling. Grip shifters which shattered, bearing cages fitted arse about face, frayed brake cables etc.

The Boardman Hybrid 8.6 looks pretty good for £550.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you like the Boardman, go for it :okay: personally I don’t like the idea of integrated handlebar/stem
but ymmv

Have you looked at any retailers other than Halfords? Are you prepared to buy online?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If you like the Boardman, go for it :okay: personally I don’t like the idea of integrated handlebar/stem
but ymmv

Have you looked at any retailers other than Halfords? Are you prepared to buy online?
I have no problem with online buying if the spec is detailed and I can read component reviews.

What I don't want, is to end up with a lump of schit like this...

1616319674095.png

vickster

Legendary Member
If spending £800 you won’t. All new bikes at a given price point are going to be broadly similar in terms of spec, the main difference will be single vs. double vs triple chainring. Top end you’ll get a carbon fork and/or hydraulic brakes.
Personally, I’d get something used for commuting, prices are super high for new bikes currently (and high but not so high for used)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If spending £800 you won’t. All new bikes at a given price point are going to be broadly similar in terms of spec, the main difference will be single vs. double vs triple chainring. Top end you’ll get a carbon fork and/or hydraulic brakes

I'd go for a carbon fork and mechanical disc brake set.

I keep getting drawn back to this one. Voodoo

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd go for a carbon fork and mechanical disc brake set.

I keep getting drawn back to this one. Voodoo
Do you want drops or flats. Hard to suggest something otherwise.
That one gets good feedback with Basic functional components (Lyra disc brakes are bog basic, but you could always upgrade to the far superior Spyres).
looks like it’s sold out in a small and medium anyhow

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If happy with flats and spending full budget, I’d get one of these
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/28474/?colorCode=reddark

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Do you want drops or flats. Hard to suggest something otherwise.
That one gets good feedback with Basic functional components (Lyra disc brakes are bog basic, but you could always upgrade to the far superior Spyres).
looks like it’s sold out in a small and medium anyhow
For the commute I'd prefer flat bars. I never seem to hit enough speed where the wind direction would really matter.

Top Bottom