Looking for a cycling/driving analogy to win an argument...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
.,. with Mrs Fnaar (Miss Goodbody is away at the annual Women's Institute Chipmunk Jamboree)

Mrs F is an occasional cyclist, but doesn't 'get' some of the more refined arguments that a more experienced cyclist (such as myself) might make, particularly when that more experienced cyclist is not very good at putting those points across.
One such argument is the use of cycle lanes... Mrs F reckons if there is one, a cyclist should use it.
I've used loads of examples of where I would or wouldn't use the available one, and why (different kinds of bike, type of ride, uphill/downhill, strewn debris etc etc), but she remains adamant.

So, to cut to the chase I need a good example of where/when a car driver has a choice to use or not use certain driving facilities/drive in a particular mannEr, BUT THE EXPERIENCED DRIVER WOULD CHOOSE NOT TO.

I suspect this would be the killer argument that wins me some peace of mind, and a sense of satisfaction.

I DON'T NEED A RUN-DOWN (geddit?) OF THE PRO/ANTI ARGUMENTS HERE, JUST A KILLER ANALOGY. ALL ANSWERS WELCOME, OF COURSE :-)

Yours etc
Mr Fnaar.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
how about the car could go along a farm track, through a ford and stop at 10 junctions - or go directly along the ring road.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
When I go from Brentwood to Stansted I use the country roads rather than the M25/M11 as there is less risk of being held up and missing my plane. On the way home, I use the longer route via the motorways as it is usually quicker and less hassle.

classic33

Leg End Member
Staying on the "faster" A road, when traffic is stationary, when other roads have little traffic and are actually faster.

ayceejay

Guru
when driving along nicely and some prat attempts to overtake as you approach a dangerous bend the conventional wisdom is to maintain your speed in the hope that the other driver will correct the situation - hope that an experienced driver would not trust and would either speed up or slow down or maintain his speed depending on his assessment of the situation.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My shortest route home is along a single track road with passing spaces and bends, which is often potholed and snarled up with drivers who cannot reverse or don't know the width of their cars.

So I take the slightly longer route.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Thanks for all the replies so far... I've just come up with one too, that I think may work...
I keep moaning about a local country road that (once lovely) has become a rat-run for commuters heading in a particular direction. They have a perfectly good raod through the town, but choose not to use it. Why do they choose not to use it? Because their journey would be slower... but they have a choice, and choose not to use the one specifically designed for their needs (OK, it needs some work, but I'll get there in the end) :okay:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Often bus lanes are time restricted, most people still choose not to drive in them even when they have become open to all traffic.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The roundabout to enter the Medway tunnel from the Strood side has a designated left turn lane to avoid the give ways (the one out of Dover port towards the A20 is similar) but often the weight of traffic means taking the roundabout is actually quicker and just as correct being 'two' lanes on 'two' lanes off.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You could try the boring one that cycle lanes are havens of broken glass,dog s**t, parked cars and people on foot. whereas roads are generally less cluttered with such things and better kept clean (hmmm) You think the road is better because you love her and wouldn't want her bike damaged by a puncture nor her injured in a fall, she wouldn't wish to be befouled by excrement, crashing into a parked car (as we know from recent thread observation is optional) or ending up in a fight with someone she's just run over.

go down the sociological (? right word?) route We are an enlightened democratic society of generally well educated civilised first worlders. People should be able to exercise their own free choice, otherwise where would we be?

Enters Al Murray Pub Landlord mode......if the French can pee in the street, I can ride my bike wherever the heck I like

A motorway example: people that choose to never drive on motorways are a bloody liability if they ever have to because they don't have the seasoning and innate understanding of how it works. Cycling more of your time on cycle lanes is much the same, it insulates you from the cut and thrust of road riding and when you have no choice but to ride the roads then you have far less of a skill set and hardened senses to do so safely.

Cycling in a Gym is far less likely to get you run over than cycling a busy main road at rush hour but people still cycle for pleasure and fitness on such roads. Bradley Wiggins and his pals could just nip to the nearest PureGym and pedal 3000 miles as fast as they can every July rather than inconveniencing the local population with closed roads. Roads are built for cycling.

& you're up that way, send her for a chat with Carlton Reid

or if the worst comes to the worst, the answer to all of life problems can be found in Father Ted

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UytwNXpglU

KneesUp

Guru
Hmm. Why would someone wish to use something with one primary purpose for a different activity, when there is something specifically designed for that activity in close proximity?

I think Miss Goodbody might have asked this question in the Family Planning Committee column in Viz. Perhaps you could ask her when she gets back?

Top Bottom