Looking for a durable bike seat in terms of comfort level?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anna_adam

I'm looking for a durable bike seat that is comfortable, open to suggestions? Currently, I have the built-in seat, but it's not at all comfortable. Looking for a comfy seat so that I can cycle for a little longer. Cannot make up my mind which one to get replaced with? Please help if you have gone through similar products.. thank you!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Hello

For what type of bike and riding ?

Jody

Stubborn git
Not the answer that you want to hear but its horses for courses. What one person finds comfortable another will find excruciating.

How long have you been riding?

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you male or female? Gender specific is the first place to start
How is the current saddle uncomfortable?
Do you use padded (under) shorts?
As above are you new to riding?
I expect pretty much all of us have been through a few saddles before finding one that suits

Alwaysbroken

Treated myself to a Specialized Toupe Comp & “for me” it’s the biggest waste of £80 notes, bloomin uncomfotable, but I took the Mrs giant Avail for a spin & she has a £25 ladies saddle, I now use the same one & it just looks like a comfy slim road bike saddle?

Not really relevant other than I’m now claiming gender non specific status :smile:

As already said, what type of riding, how many miles? Bike type? & maybe buy something that looks right for your derrière? LBS will be able to put you on the right path.

Drago

Legendary Member
Aside from that fact that with a name like Anna, which leads me to believe you is not a geezer and won't want a bloke bum perch, I cant really advise. Were all different ages, weights, shapes, fitness, levels of health, injury, yadda yadda. What suits my pert and perfectly sculpted derriere may not suit another.

Go to a good bike shop that has the gear to measure your sit bones (do you like the technical speak?) or make an attempt to do that at home. Then a good LBS can give you some kind of steer, but then you dont really know for sure until you've ground out some miles on it. Vickster is correct, you may end up buying a few before you settle upon the most cosseting.

Good luck.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Get your bum measured, if you can.

Our medium sized bike shop in town, has this thing that you sit on - which measures the distance between your ischial tuberosities*.

* thats proper tech speak for sit bones ...

Quite exciting - if - like me - you are the easily excited sort.

I'm 135 mm by the way.

I had hoped that CycleChat would have some kind of database into which we could input all this fascinating info - but sadly none seems to forthcoming.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get your bum measured, if you can.

Our medium sized bike shop in town, has this thing that you sit on - which measures the distance between your ischial tuberosities*.

* thats proper tech speak for sit bones ...

Quite exciting - if - like me - you are the easily excited sort.

I'm 135 mm by the way.

I had hoped that CycleChat would have some kind of database into which we could input all this fascinating info - but sadly none seems to forthcoming.
What use would such a database be, what info would it give of use bearing in mind there are hundreds of saddle options and we are all different anatomically

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So pleased nobody just blurted out B***ks.

Like everyone has said its a very personal choice. In my experience soft, spongy gel seats do not work but minimal padding does.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So pleased nobody just blurted out B***ks.

Like everyone has said its a very personal choice. In my experience soft, spongy gel seats do not work but minimal padding does.

My last saddle was a gel filled one - very comfy.

Present one has minimal give - not comfy.

will probs get a softer one for new bike.

But like you say we all have very individual undercarriages.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
WTB saddles are worth a look at. I know very little about them except that they are cheap and that a previous Transcontinental winner, Josh Ibbot and his partner, rode around the world on them
.https://www.wtb.com/pages/saddles

Do you know if these are available in the UK or do you have to import from the States ??

I like the sound of the 'comfort' - if someone was happy riding from Tokyo to London on one then it might suit me ;-)

Top Bottom