Looking for a GPS aid for Audax events - which one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
I am looking for a GPS aid for Audax events.

Not too bothered about mapping more direction and distance to the next turn along with a reasonable battery life.

I found trying to read a route card waving around in very blustery conditions in an area of Angus total alien to me far too stressful and navigating through towns is a nightmare.

Would something like the Garmin etrex Vista be a possible contender?

Many thanks

Andy

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Andy, I am in a similar quandry (and from a similar audax, I suspect :o)

I have identified 3 options thus far:
- Satmap Active 10
- Garmin Etrex Vista hcx - but need to add the cost of maps (maybe from here)
- Rixen Kaul mini map holder

Further reading (which you've probably done already :blush:):
- Using GPS with longer distance cycling
- our own (CC) Ben Lovejoy's informative experiences
- AudaxUK's GPS page - scroll down the left side and click on GPS, just beside their lighting section

You pays your money ... I have heard good reports from people who use the Rixen Kaul map holder (and seen it on 'that' audax :biggrin:), as well as the Etrex Vista (likewise), which is currently heading my "can I justify this ?" list :blush:

HTH

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd suggest the Etrex Vista HCx
The battery life is long enough for a proper Audax, and it will do satnav-style routing to the next control if you get diverted off route (eg accident/road closure). The required maps are cheapest as UK/Ireland on SD card, about half the cost of full Europe on DVD. Card versions don't allow planning on a PC, unless you find a fiddle on the interweb. There is also the free OpenStreetMap mapping, which can be better, but is a wiki and incomplete in some parts of the country (see on YACF GPS page or more info).

The Satmap uses standard OS 1:50k mapping, at a (higher) cost. This is informative in rural areas, but the necessary distortions in built up areas can lead to confusion. It doesn't do satnav style mapping - only "turn left here" on a pre-prepared route.

OP
OP
ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
After my extended mooch around Angus yesterday I know I will have to put a GPS aid in place before my next Audax attempt.

Check map before event, forget to reset computer (DOH!) read route card take a couple of turns, jump on to the back of a group and start to think about cake, get dropped on the first hillock and I instantly join the 'where the feck am I' group.

Given that my eyesight is terrible I was looking for an easy to read and cost effective (so the SWMBO won't notice) solution to getting around the country side. I have to admit the more I read into the subject the more confused I become. Based on the KISS principle and the discussion that took place at the post event tea break at Kirriemuir the Vista appears to be the obvious solution, but if someone can suggest otherwise I would be ecstatic.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I use the cheapest Etrex model which doesn't have any mapping capability. You should be able to pick one up for about £60 now. I transfer the information from a route sheet to my Mapping software (Memory Map) which has OS 1:50,000 mapping for the entire UK and double check anything that I'm not certain about using Google Maps for road names.

Here's some info. cobbled together from various things I've written before about audax navigation using the Etrex:

This model has two navigation modes. One displays a direction arrow and distance to next waypoint. I quickly realised that I didn't like that mode. It doesn't give any indication of what is coming up until you are almost upon it and then there can be ambiguity about where to go next. I tried it and a couple of times I found the arrow pointing the wrong way at junctions and then correcting itself after I'd turned - useless!

I prefer to navigate using the 'breadcrumb trail' mode. This displays the shape of the route ahead as a line on the screen with an icon of a little man representing my position. I set the device to auto-rotate the image so that I am always riding 'up' the screen (otherwise it would show North at the top of the screen and I'd have to effectively rotate the image mentally to work out what to do next).

I usually have the scale set to about 150 metres per cm so I can see what is coming about 750 m ahead. That gives me plenty of time to think about position on the road and signalling. It also lets me spot any complicated navigational issues which may arise so they don't catch me out at the last minute. If there is a right turn closely followed by a left, I can see that and am ready for it.

The device uses two AA cells which is very convenient if you ever need to buy replacements out on the road. It drains about 100 mA when not using the backlight. I never use the backlight because I rarely ride at night. On the few occasions that I have, I've used a head torch to see the display. I have some 2,600 mAH NiMH cells and can confirm that I get over 24 hours continuous use out of them at normal tempertures so that would be enough for a 300 or a moderately quick 400. Two pairs of cells should see you through a 600. Note, as always - battery life may be impaired in very cold conditions but you probably don't do very long rides in the winter (do you?).

My Etrex has been ultra reliable but I always carry the route sheet and a map for backup. I've only had two problems in about 3,000 kms of riding with the device.

Problem one was when I used some 2,000 mAH cells. They turned out to be slightly physically smaller than the ones I use now. As a result, they were not a tight fit in the battery compartment and tended to rattle when doing fast descents on rough road surfaces. The GPS cut out a couple of times before I worked out what the problem was. Use larger cells or pad out the battery compartment with a strip of paper to take up any slack.

Problem two is missing turns when I don't look at the screen often enough. The Etrex alerts the user that a turn is coming up by flashing a warning on the screen - it is no use whatsoever! If I'm already looking at the screen, I can see that without the warning. If I'm not, I don't see the warning either! On this model, there is no audible alert. I'd like to be able to set it to emit a loud 'beep' 100 metres before a turn. I've navigated over 3,000 km using my Etrex and have only missed 3 or 4 turns when talking to other riders. One glance at the screen tells me that I've gone astray and it is easy to get back on the right route.

Highly recommended! (Mind you, I know people who have the more expensive models with maps built in and they look great if you can afford them.)

if you get a vista hcx with appropriate mapping it can be used like a sat nav and bleep a warning just before a turn, it flashes a direction arrow and distance to the turn at the same time.
i've got garmin city select for mapping in the vista and plot on tracklogs on the pc.
i recently plotted a 100 mile ride to get a clubmate from blackburn to llangollen avoiding the bigger towns and cities using mainly minor roads.
he'd never used a gps before so i rode with him for 25 miles just following the track on screen. when i came to turn back at that point i selected the track that i'd plotted and switched it to trackback or sat nav to use the motorists term and let him follow the directions. after 3 miles he had no problems so we had a brew and i left him to it.
he told me later that it took him right to the front door at his destination.
as colinj says this set up is pretty expensive but once you got it, and it took me a few years it's great and easy to use.

ColinJ

Oh, and despite the length of my previous post, I still forgot a few things...

You need a handlebar mount to attach the Etrex to your bars. It is about £12 which I think is a lot for a few bits of plastic. It's even worse when you buy 3 of the things, one for each bike! (I could move the mounting hardware from bike to bike but it would be a pain to keep doing it.)

Cables... The Etrex has a serial output so I bought a serial cable for it (the GPS has a funny connector so you need a dedicated lead). That was okay for my main PC which has a serial port. When I started using my laptop to plot routes when travelling, I realised that I needed another cable to convert the serial signal to USB for that. Both types of cable can be found on eBay. You could probably get a single Etrex->USB lead if you look around.

The Etrex is currently available from Amazon.co.uk for £60.15 incl p&p.

There was one more thing. Pauses to engage brain...

Oh yes - the early versions of this GPS had a very limited memory capacity. I tried buying one on eBay and discovered that it was one of them. The vendor kindly cancelled the sale when I pointed that out. Make sure that you are getting the latest version - the Etrex H.

OP
OP
ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
ColinJ

You are a star. :biggrin:

ColinJ

satans budgie said:
ColinJ

You are a star. :thumbsup:
No problem!

So, to recap... if you want to go the new cheapo Etrex route, you will need to spend:

Etrex GPS ~£60
Etrex bar mount ~£12
Etrex -> USB cable ~£12
4*** AA NiMH cells (2,600 mAH or more) + charger ~£16
Mapping software - use one of the free online services

Total ~ £100

You may like to take a look at this webpage which is what persuaded me to buy my Etrex.

*** you only need 2 cells, but you can often buy a charger and 4 cells at a good price. It also lets you charge one pair while using the other. I buy batteries, memory cards and the like from 7dayshop.com.

Top Bottom