Looking for a hardshell seat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
The only thing missing on my Trice is a nice hardshell seat like I had on the old Trice 'S'. Does anyone have a spare lying around that they'd like to sell, M or L size. I'm looking at one on ebay from Germany, or even getting one of the new super duper Air-Pro seats from Ice, but either option is very expensive. Or I'd swap (or p/ex) my mesh seat for a hardshell.

If anyone wants to do swappies (or buy), I have lying around some other bits.

Side Handlebar Mount and Bag

An Easy Adjust Kit (for changing boom length without adding/removing links)

Last edited:
Have a word with Kevin at D-tek.

Kevin Dunseath, Tel. 01353 648 177, Email dtekhpvs@btconnect.com.

Thats how I swapped (for a bit of cash as well) my mesh seat for a hardshell one around 5 years ago.

paul fellows

Have you considered making your own?

1] lock the door

2] wrap your self in cling film

3] adopt the posture that you intend to be in when the seat is finished

4] adopt the same posture, this time bent over the arm of a chair or a stack of cushions [face down, arse up]

5] have a very close friend make a plaster of paris cast of your seat, about as far up and down as you want the seat to go

6] when the plaster of paris has dried, slip out of the mould and remove the cling film

7] when ready use this mould to make your own bespoke hard seat

paul fellows

8] cover the seat side of the mold with cling film if you intend to make more than one seat from it
9] build up a couple of layers of fiber glass or carbon fiber
10] free the seat from the mold
11] cut some lumps of foam and stick them to the back/under side using the fiber and resin
12] build up a cellular structure like this across the underside and back
13] from the points where the seats mounting atachments are to go, run several strips of fiber and resin for reinforcement
14] fix the mountings then repeat 13
15] finealy cover the hole thing in one or two compleat layers so it looks right

The only thing missing on my Trice is a nice hardshell seat like I had on the old Trice 'S'. Does anyone have a spare lying around that they'd like to sell, M or L size. I'm looking at one on ebay from Germany, or even getting one of the new super duper Air-Pro seats from Ice, but either option is very expensive. Or I'd swap (or p/ex) my mesh seat for a hardshell.

If anyone wants to do swappies (or buy), I have lying around some other bits.

Side Handlebar Mount and Bag

An Easy Adjust Kit (for changing boom length without adding/removing links)
do you still have the side handle bar mount? I'm interested in getting 2nd one. finding it rather useful because I can't twist at all due to a bad back and a 2nd one would help enormously.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

do you still have the side handle bar mount? I'm interested in getting 2nd one. finding it rather useful because I can't twist at all due to a bad back and a 2nd one would help enormously.

Yes I still have it, and the bag, available.

Are you after one to aid getting on/off the trike? A cheap option would be a bit of tubing (maybe with insulating foam for comfort) clamped or jubilee clipped across a rear seat bar. That's coming from me though, a self confessed tightwad bodge artist.:okay:

Yes I still have it, and the bag, available.

Are you after one to aid getting on/off the trike? A cheap option would be a bit of tubing (maybe with insulating foam for comfort) clamped or jubilee clipped across a rear seat bar. That's coming from me though, a self confessed tightwad bodge artist.:okay:
Nope. I have the helping handles are it is - factored them into the build cost. Though I will have to see how much you want for it/them and how my finances are... What's the bar bag (as in make model) please? Seriously right on money right now.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Nope. I have the helping handles are it is - factored them into the build cost. Though I will have to see how much you want for it/them and how my finances are... What's the bar bag (as in make model) please? Seriously right on money right now.

This is the bag and mount Side Bag mount & Altura Arran Bar Bag 5Ltr (fits side bag mount) (01295) http://www.icetrikes.co/explore-our-trikes/adventure/accessories#overlay=image&value=2739 The only difference is that it has jubilee clips rather than the bolt/collar set up in the pics. It also comes with the shoulder strap.

Looks like if you want one mounted both sides, you may have to have them out quite wide though.

Last edited:
Looks like if you want one mounted both sides, you may have to have them out quite wide though.
you are indeed correct. I had not appreciated that and after looking at it, I realise that it is not very feasible, sadly. :sad: so I will have to pass. There are other things that need money spending on them as a higher priority so money will have to go to those things (like being able to sit down again) first.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

It looks like a double bag bar would be pretty easy to have fabricated if you know anyone locally who's 'handy', especially as you already have 1 mount to work from.

paul fellows

Probably a bit late, but I noticed “foxes” a local cheep shop selling of kid plastic sleds. Warm it up a bit to soften the plastic then bend it to the shape you need.

cookie32

I just finished making a wood laminated seat, still mounting but the seat has come out nice.

Attachments

• 20150410_144354.jpg
    20150410_144354.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20150410_162215.jpg
    20150410_162215.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20150411_101100.jpg
    20150411_101100.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20150412_192010.jpg
    20150412_192010.jpg