Looking for a lighter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It is all new to me. I'm working through all the gcn videos learning about shifters and chain sets.
What's that got to do with tyre width and frame clearance?

OP
OP
D

Dartmoorcf

Regular
Ah sorry. There are a series of beginners videos. I haven't looked at the tyres , frame clearance one yet as until yesterday it wasn't an issue.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You may be over thinking this. I suggest to get on the bike and ride it? Initially slowly and not too far if nervous, just round and round the block of necessary. A minute on the bike will be worth an hour of videos.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Whyte Stirling...job done :okay: (although it has a single chainring, check that the gear ratios will suffice)
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...VjevtCh07xAmSEAQYASABEgJQRfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or if you want drops, you can simply just add crosslever brakes as you describe but NOT with hydraulic disc brakes (only mechanical discs or rim brakes). I use the Tektro R721s, cost £20 or so

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tektro-Bicycle-Levers-Silver-31-8MM/dp/B01MUO6MCB/ref=pd_lpo_200_t_2/257-3844876-4247968

I have had those on the touring bicycle, and they work well.

Not necessarily. It's often a matter of personal choice.

My hybrid originally came supplied with 1.5 inch treaded Kendas, but I run it on the 28mm Schwalbe Durano slicks that the original owner fitted, which are just the ticket for a utility bike.

12boy

Guru
14.5 kg for an Al mtn bike with semi slick tires seems a little much. My 92 cannondale M400 with steel chainrings and 2" hybrid tires weighs less thsn 12 and thatscwith a leather brooks saddle and steel orth road bars. The most important weight for me are the wheels/tires, in terms of sprightliness or the lack thereof. Another factor is gearing. The last is ergonomics. As far as I'm concerned, a heavy bike with lighter tires, good gearing for the riding you will be doing, and that fits comfortably is plenty good enough for me. I find larger tires with flexible sidewalls are much more comfortable than high pressue narrow tires that transmit every road imperfections back into your hands and wrists and therefore I ride further and longer with much more pleasure. Just my opinion.

vickster

Legendary Member
14.5 kg for an Al mtn bike with semi slick tires seems a little much. My 92 cannondale M400 with steel chainrings and 2" hybrid tires weighs less thsn 12 and thatscwith a leather brooks saddle and steel orth road bars. The most important weight for me are the wheels/tires, in terms of sprightliness or the lack thereof. Another factor is gearing. The last is ergonomics. As far as I'm concerned, a heavy bike with lighter tires, good gearing for the riding you will be doing, and that fits comfortably is plenty good enough for me. I find larger tires with flexible sidewalls are much more comfortable than high pressue narrow tires that transmit every road imperfections back into your hands and wrists and therefore I ride further and longer with much more pleasure. Just my opinion.
It has suspension probably which hikes up the weight!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It is on 25mms apparently. I guess I'd need to change the wheels if I wanted to go bigger than 28s. Need to see what the max width I can fit. The marin is about 40mm so it's going to he a big change.
I've got an aluminium Trek SL and a 90's steel road bikes and 28 tyres just about fit so worth a try. Should make make a difference. You're going to need about 37mm min between the chainstays at the tyre.

Top Bottom