Looking for a lighter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I live next to Dartmoor too. My main bike is a Scott AFD Expert from around 2003, converted to flat bars and 3x9 mountain bike gearing. Not really for bashing across the moor, but copes with hills pretty well. Quite light at 11.5kg.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Ignore them - if you want to carry on losing weight then stick with the heavier bike :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've had a dropbar in my youth (Dawes Fox) but we lived in the suburbs rather than in the middle of nowhere with more pot holes roads.
Hopefully this will change my mindset about dropbar being less stable and see if it makes differences to my times on strava.

There was nothing lightweight about a Dawes Fox. It would have been within about two pounds of the weight of your Marin that you seem to think is heavy!
Drops are less stable on poor surfaces for the simple reason the narrower bars mean the rider has less leverage to use on the steering when the ground is trying to push the front wheel off course. Drops are typically only about 70% of the width of hybrid flat bars.
Cycling should be based around enjoyment. Stat chasing on strava is plain sad, IMHO, and totally pointless.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cycling should be based around enjoyment. Stat chasing on strava is plain sad, IMHO, and totally pointless.

I agree, but your post is a non sequitur or a logical fallacy or some other smart arse phrase.

If cycling is about enjoyment - which it is - and the OP enjoys stat chasing on Strava - which he does - he cannot be 'plain sad' for doing it.

Yours,

Prof Heinz Wolf.

gzoom

Über Member
Picking up the Trek roadbike tomorrow. Will see how it goes. I guess you just get used to the brakes being miles away!

Enjoy it, there is a world of difference between going up a hill on my Trek road bike (7.8k) versus my hybrid (15kg).

The other thing is wheels, my Trek almost feels like a different bike when climbing up a hill using the wheels that came with the bike versus some carbon DuraAce wheels I bought separately.

Personally for me lighter bikes are just more fun to ride. Am currently trying very hard not spending extra money to get my road bike to the magical sub 7kg figure......not sure if that's a battle I can win :smile:.

OP
OP
D

Dartmoorcf

Regular
I'm not that bothered about Strava but it is part of my fitness regime having lost 20k so far. I use it to compare my times and it makes me happy when I can see the progression. I also use myfitnesspal to log my calories and a garmin watch to tie everything together.
Cycling for me is definitively about fun. I haven't moved onto lycra yet!

OP
OP
D

Dartmoorcf

Regular
New bike c/o a cycling friend. This is going to be so different to the chunky hybrid. I can pick it up with one finger!

Attachments

• 20200912_121810.jpg
    20200912_121810.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 9

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Nice bike.

As you're new to road bikes, putting the bars to the maximum height (above the spacers) wouldn't be a bad idea if you're confident how to do it.

Nice. The more aero position will make a huge difference. And the tyres.
I went out on my winter bike yesterday. With the chunky Marathon tyres on its more effort to get rolling but once it's up to speed it's not too bad. If it's on slick tyres it's 99.9% as fast as my carbon summer bike despite being a lot heavier.

OP
OP
D

Dartmoorcf

Regular
I tried undoing the bolt and pulling up the handlebars a bit but it didn't want to come. I'll ask Pete when he gets home. :-)

Top Bottom