Looking for a simple but long lasting bike computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SafetyThird

What I'm looking for is a computer I can fit that will record distance over a long period, several years. All I really want from it is to log distance but be able to do that over several years and keep that reading even when batteries are changed. I have a Garmin setup for heart rate, cadence etc, but I'd like something to log distance on my new-to-me bike over the years to come.

Any suggestions?

vickster

Legendary Member
Free subscription to Strava, upload through the Garmin?
Strava tells me I’ve logged near 21,000 miles over the years across various bikes. You just tell it what bikes you have and for each ride what bike you were riding :okay:

a.twiddler

Veteran
You beat me to it! No batteries to change, just note the mileage at the start and finish. The mesmeric Dink Dink Dink as you roll along, the change in rhythm tells you about any subtle increase or drop in speed before it even registers on your cycle computer. The background sound to my 70s and early 80s trips. Pedestrians can hear you coming, and it needs no maintenance, apart from a little care when putting the front wheel back on.

Of course the sound will drive some riders nuts, and if you habitually ride down long fast hills, the striker is prone to get out of step with the little star wheel, causing a loud bang and either bending the mounting arm outwards (just bend it back) or firing the computer like a missile into the shrubbery, never to be seen again. Not often a problem for a slow-ish rider such as myself. Happy days!

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

Sigma BC 16.12 total distance 85,753 miles :smile:
Well that's definitely a worthwhile recommendation. Is yours the wired or wireless?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you already have Strava and a Garmin, but cannot be bothered to attach your device for every ride then how about the latest Garmin Speed sensor? Bear with me here, the speed sensor wraps around your hub and keeps track of your mileage and speed and automatically uploads to Garmin Connect and hence Strava. I use one on my commuter as I cannot be bothered to connect and turn on a device twice a day. It just sits in the background doing its thing. The best thing about it is that is caches everything, so no need for you to have your phone with you or another Garmin device. It will just sync when your phone is in range and the sensor is awake. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04...with-ant-bluetooth-smart-in-depth-review.html
This way you are not relying on an old school computer that can very easily lose all your data.

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

my Garmin is a forerunner rather than a cycling gps unit, it's very handy for logging my data but I don't have one I use for navigation, I use Komoot on the phone if I need that. The new Garmin sensors look very handy and, were I in the market to spend that on sensors, I'd buy them. However, I already have the older model Garmin sensors on both bikes so I'll pass on those. A £10 wired computer which will last several years on a battery is all I need for this purpose.

Morning,

Look very carefully at how it mounts, I usually get only a few months out of one before they get nicked, rain soaked and stop working or fall off and stop working. :-(

This my latest, it is quite pretty but not very useful.

Bye

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom