Looking for a very budget bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Be very sure that you really want a SS before buying as they are not everyone cup of tea and you are precluding yourself from some very basic help getting up hills. All the new £250 SS bikes will be as heavy as a garden gate and about as fun to ride.
Also consider the Dawes range which have some interesting models: http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/road-bikes/f/dawes#! The Discovery with its chunky wheels gives you an additional option to use it on off road on trails.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am really surprised that you can buy a half decent full bike for the price of a half decent light.

I prefer a flat bar to drops. You need to ride both for a while to make a decision. If you are used to flat bars I would suggest you buy a bike with flat bars. Unless you want to pretend to be a racer.

Why would you want a single gear bike unless you live in a place that is flat?

Cyclops. I dont think Dawes fit in the Very Budget Level bracket. I dont even think you can get them second hand at that level.

vickster

Legendary Member
OP is in London, which is flat

I did my usual circuit yesterday on my new SS, it was actually no more strenuous than on any of the geared bikes, albeit slower speed at a busier time :smile:

You can get a SS new for £200 but from recent research, second hand would be a better option. Have you investigated the recycled bike place at elephant and castle? I can't recall the name, jgi

Ref Dawes http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/p..._Bike_312520?gclid=COaxvq2suMECFYzMtAodRUIAwQ

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

per4

Regular
i gave the guy with the giant a call. theres something wrong with the seating lock and the gears apparently.

what are peoples opinions on the carrera axle vs the btwin fit 300?

OP
OP
P

per4

Regular
ok so my search for a bike has ended for now. i got the following bike (£60)from someone local on gumtree. and tbh, im not sure if it was a mistake, but it looked nice :smile: what are you guys' opinions?

the seller said he was quoted over £100 to have the gear levers fixed. so he improvised and put them on the stem (see pics).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The Carrera Virtuoso is a decent bike, although this is an older one. I ran a Virtuoso over the winter of 2011-12 and it was fine.

Should be OK but I'd personally be looking for a set of levers - if they're 7 speed see the For Sale section on here.
+1 , the virtuoso is a cracking bike .I used to have one and it did sterling service till i upgraded .£100 sounds about right if you needed new shifters .
@simon the viking has some at £25 if as @DCLane says has youur bike got a 7 gears at the back ?
All you need as well as the shifters are some cables + cable outerswith will probably set you back around £10

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Do the shifters still click, the lower lever go in single clicks and the brake lever should push in the same way to click ? Worth checking although might be more economical to replace if they are very worn as i had a pair of old shifters where you had to overshift as they were on the way out.

+1 , the virtuoso is a cracking bike .I used to have one and it did sterling service till i upgraded .£100 sounds about right if you needed new shifters .
@simon the viking has some at £25 if as @DCLane says has youur bike got a 7 gears at the back ?
All you need as well as the shifters are some cables + cable outerswith will probably set you back around £10
Sorry got these on ebay now not here... only starting at a tenner though (12 watchers!!!!)

Top Bottom