Looking for a women's hybrid bike for around £500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gcogger

Mine you - I have heard some great things about the gel saddles on Amazon from a some users. Never used them myself, but for casual riders - might be ok....actually, the stock saddle might be ok!

This is the one I’ve read about. It’s not as wide as some ladies saddles, but bigger is not always better so I have been told! And can you post back on how you got in with the store!!? As I might try them too.
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DB3KVPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_GGKM5ZC78MK46VWC4S81
I bought that exact saddle when I started cycling last year. For the first (short) ride or two, the padding was welcome. I soon found, however, that it was rubbing me raw for any ride over a few miles, even through cycle shorts. Not nice :cursing: I won't buy anything with thick gel padding any more!

CloggieScot

Maybe this would suit her? Over budget but you could make an offer. Or does she not want drop bars?
Ebay Giant Avail

Midsrider

I bought that exact saddle when I started cycling last year. For the first (short) ride or two, the padding was welcome. I soon found, however, that it was rubbing me raw for any ride over a few miles, even through cycle shorts. Not nice :cursing: I won't buy anything with thick gel padding any more!

ouch!!! I have never had a gel saddle....but thanks for the feedback.

I so know when a lot of people go for these extra wide, thick seats, they are great to sit on but when they cycle they hate it as offers to real support. This is why this one I posted I know of a few that said it was a great saddle.

There is another Amazon special! That loads of magazines have raved about saying it’s the savour saddle for many ‘casual’ cyclists and when I looked it had great reviews. I’ll have a look now.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JFWD9LH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_HQQ1B0YGY4Y4F7QX0X6B

This looks like it - as I remember it being wide! It’s not one I personally would get as I actually love the Bontrager sports saddle.

If my wife wanted to upgrade her saddle once we get her trek bike, this this would be the one I would go for - and it has Treks 30 day trial period on it - which they honour.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...rd-fluid-bike-saddle/p/23594/?colorCode=black

maybe the OP could strike a deal with this when calling about the FX2.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get your sit bones measured, having the right width saddle is a good starting point and then it’s trial and error with shape. Saddles aren’t really a thing you upgrade unless you are a weight weenie racing type. They get changed because they are uncomfortable. Cost is not a good indicator of the right saddle for you. I had an £80 Specialized Saddle, right width, bought because the colour matched my new bike and it was no good for me as the wrong shape!

Bontrager saddles work well for me, as does the ladies Charge Ladle. I am on the larger size but I definitely wouldn’t go for one of those monster ‘comfort saddles’ if doing any distance. Might be ok for going to the shops

Last edited:

Midsrider

Get your sit bones measured, having the right width saddle is a good starting point and then it’s trial and error with shape. Saddles aren’t really a thing you upgrade unless you are a weight weenie racing type. They get changed because they are uncomfortable. Cost is not a good indicator of the right saddle for you. I had an £80 Specialized Saddle, right width, bought because the colour matched my new bike and it was no good for me as the wrong shape!

Bontrager saddles work well for me, as does the ladies Charge Ladle. I am on the larger size but I definitely wouldn’t go for one of those monster ‘comfort saddles’ if doing any distance. Might be ok for going to the shops

yeah totally agree, hence why I said casual cyclist, I love my Bontrager saddle so I personally if his partner is planning on doing some long rides or touring maybe, to look at that line of Bontrager saddles I posted last on the post above.

Red Kite cycles are hugely experienced and can offer good advice.
Or they might put the stock sports saddle in their stock and you could get the women’s sport saddle which they actually have stock of!!!!
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...t-womens-bike-saddle/p/14012/?colorCode=black

vickster

Legendary Member
yeah totally agree, hence why I said casual cyclist, I love my Bontrager saddle so I personally if his partner is planning on doing some long rides or touring maybe, to look at that line of Bontrager saddles I posted last on the post above.

Red Kite cycles are hugely experienced and can offer good advice.
Or they might put the stock sports saddle in their stock and you could get the women’s sport saddle which they actually have stock of!!!!
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...t-womens-bike-saddle/p/14012/?colorCode=black
167mm is pretty wide even for a ladies' saddle, the shop should be able to measure

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Great responses, thanks!

The Whyte ones look awesome but possibly a bit out of budget (and out of stock). The Liv Alight hybrids look like a good choice, can't believe bikes are still so badly stocked though, struggling to find a small one available near Birmingham but will keep an eye out.

Will checkout Decathlon and Go Outdoors too.
Only downside with the Decathlon example Cycleops linked to is the lowest gearing 34/32 isn't brilliant for a beginner to get up slopes easily- maybe go for something with a bit more range like a 48/36/26 triple chainring with 11-34 on the cassette? ..or perhaps even something with a single 38 chainring with 11-42 on the back?

yo vanilla

We used to have DiamondBack BMX's in the 1980's. they were pretty decent but expensive, only for the posh kids, and not as good as a Mongoose, a Mongoose was the epitome of cool.

I'd agree with that. I bought a 1993 Mongoose Expert Pro 20" BMX brand new, and sold it about two years ago. But now we're getting off subject!

Top Bottom