Looking for advice on a multi use bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Multi use bikes can benefit from accepting wider tyres. Some classic English tourers (like mine) are limited by the frame clearance to 32mm tyres which are fine on the road with luggage but a bit too narrow for tracks and trails. Modern tourers may have more generous tyre clearance but keep an eye on it. I would suggest 38mm (typical hybrid size) as the biggest size you will need for tracks and trails.

MTB controls are better matched to the gear and brake systems you need. You can get drop bars to operate lower gears but it take some knowledge and sometimes drop bar tourers lack the low gears you need. Front gears are especially problematic.
Cable brake systems require a certain length of cable pull. Drop bar levers pull the smallest length of cable, for typical road brakes. Cantilever, V brake and cable disk brakes require more cable pull that MTB levers can deliver. You can make it work but often the result is less than optimum.

Drago

Legendary Member
By utter co-incidence, I was speaking to a chum today. He has a Ridgeback tourer for sale. I don't recall the exact model, but I do recall that it's in very smart condition and it's a large frame (my chum is about 5'11"). He's in Northamptonshire and wants only £225. If you are interested drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch.

Top Bottom