Looking for bike advice after a few failed bike shop trips - feeling lost, help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably 1600 ish ceiling. The Topstone I looked at was 1650, but depends what I can get hold of I suppose. Will be on cycle to woke scheme so that should make things a bit more favourable :smile:
Are you restricted to certain retailers?
Will you want to add panniers for commuting?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Are you restricted to certain retailers?
Will you want to add panniers for commuting?
Don't think I'm restricted but I will have to check. From what I remember I literally just tell them how much the total is, they work out the tax etc and send me a voucher. I don't think I'm going to want to add panniers for commuting, I'm looking to use it more as a getting out and about and getting fitter kind of bike, though never say never I guess - I'm still WFH but my office has been relocated to the city centre. My only viable routes into town are on the Fallowfield Loop and up Oxford Road, or down Hyde Road or Ashton Old Road. All three options terrify the life out of me with the floop being crime central and the other two full of maniacs 🤣 I think being able to attach panniers would be nice to have, but not an absolute necessity.

I'm not very good at advising on new bikes so I'm going to concentrate on the old one for a moment.
Feel free to ignore^_^

You may have options to make your own bike more comfortable, but of course, these are hardly the best of times to do it if needing technical help.

Have you played around with the saddle and handelebar heights?
There are seatposts that are set back to bring the saddle further back than normal.
Similarly, there are different stems that can increase the distance between handlebar and saddle.
Failing that, there are different types of handlebars, such as butterfly bars, that can be used and adjusted in lots of different ways.

At the very least, they may be a reasonable (and cheap) stop gap until more choice is available.

Perhaps if you could take a photo of you on the bike, probably side on is best, some on here may be able to advise.

Good luck!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't think I'm restricted but I will have to check. From what I remember I literally just tell them how much the total is, they work out the tax etc and send me a voucher. I don't think I'm going to want to add panniers for commuting, I'm looking to use it more as a getting out and about and getting fitter kind of bike, though never say never I guess - I'm still WFH but my office has been relocated to the city centre. My only viable routes into town are on the Fallowfield Loop and up Oxford Road, or down Hyde Road or Ashton Old Road. All three options terrify the life out of me with the floop being crime central and the other two full of maniacs 🤣 I think being able to attach panniers would be nice to have, but not an absolute necessity.

Where you travelling from. I used to commute into city centre - don't anymore due to the injuries I picked up. There are some quiet routes, but depends where you come in from and where in the centre. The Floop out to the other side of Princess Parkway, then up Alexander Road towards Hulme is OK - I used to come in that way, but got my spine broken in Reddish, just a few hundred yards short of the Floop. Never had any trouble on the Floop - it's OK at rush hour as it's a bit like the M1 for bikes.

Hyde Road is bad enough in the car. Ashton Canal is a good option if coming in from that side - well surfaced (mainly tarmac) and you get off the canal near Piccadilly Station at New Islington.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Where you travelling from. I used to commute into city centre - don't anymore due to the injuries I picked up. There are some quiet routes, but depends where you come in from and where in the centre. The Floop out to the other side of Princess Parkway, then up Alexander Road towards Hulme is OK - I used to come in that way, but got my spine broken in Reddish, just a few hundred yards short of the Floop. Never had any trouble on the Floop - it's OK at rush hour as it's a bit like the M1 for bikes.

Hyde Road is bad enough in the car. Ashton Canal is a good option if coming in from that side - well surfaced (mainly tarmac) and you get off the canal near Piccadilly Station at New Islington.
Denton. Cycled into town the other day via reddish Vale, reddish and onto the loop there. Went back via Windmill Lane over the motorway. Christ, sorry about your spine! Hope its not too awful and you made a recovery!

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I'm not very good at advising on new bikes so I'm going to concentrate on the old one for a moment.
Feel free to ignore^_^

You may have options to make your own bike more comfortable, but of course, these are hardly the best of times to do it if needing technical help.

Have you played around with the saddle and handelebar heights?
There are seatposts that are set back to bring the saddle further back than normal.
Similarly, there are different stems that can increase the distance between handlebar and saddle.
Failing that, there are different types of handlebars, such as butterfly bars, that can be used and adjusted in lots of different ways.

At the very least, they may be a reasonable (and cheap) stop gap until more choice is available.

Perhaps if you could take a photo of you on the bike, probably side on is best, some on here may be able to advise.

Good luck!
Thanks for this! I got the bike serviced a few weeks ago and the guy had a look at me on it and made some adjustments. We moved the saddle back and moved some of the spacers on the handlebars to drop them a little. I'm going to go out again on it tomorrow so before I do that I might shift the saddle back a tiny bit to see if that helps. In the meantime if bikes are still like gold dust and I can't get hold of what I want ill try some of your other suggestions 😊

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Denton. Cycled into town the other day via reddish Vale, reddish and onto the loop there. Went back via Windmill Lane over the motorway. Christ, sorry about your spine! Hope its not too awful and you made a recovery!

I got splatted on Longford Road on way down to the Loop - car turned right. Back riding, back OK, bit touch and go at the time, and just getting back on the road after 5 years. Been MTBing since. My route was Bredbury, Hyde, Denton, Windmill Lane, Longford Rd, Floop, out just past the Parkway, then up Alexander Park Road into Hulme.

It's not a bad route, but the day I got splatted there was loads of traffic, and someone took a gap in the traffic - I happened to be there. It's a good route. Loads of glass on the floop round Fallowfield, but the cycle lane is OK into town from there, if slow. You could ride in via Lloyd Street

contadino

Veteran
This might help, recently updated...

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/27-best-2021-gravel-bikes-adventure-bikes-217893

I was interested in the Shand Stoater, Light Blue Robinson, Cotic Escapade and Genesis Croix de Fer but ended up going for something half way between a gravel bike and a tourer in the end.

Certainly don't be worried about drops. 5 minutes to get used to them and a lifetime of less wrist pain.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Enlightenedwaistcoat from what you have written I feel you are very uncertain about the bike which will suit you and your needs. In this situation buying online could lead to real disappointment.

I would urge you to direct your research in two directions; first continue looking online as you are already doing as this will build your knowledge and secondly find a good independent bike shop. An LBS, local bike shop, as most would say.

When you find a good LBS they will be able to advise on sizing, styles, brands etc. In the current environment you may have to wait months for delivery and in the meantime the LBS should set up your current bike to be as comfortable as possible. In my opinion buying based on what is quickly available would be a mistake, I wouldn't even consider that option.

As for models? I don't have the knowledge to advise. I do feel a gravel bike would suit your needs. Last December I took delivery of a Kinesis Tripster and can thoroughly recommend the brand for design and build quality. I did have some initial reservations but my LBS, which I've used for 20+ years, assured me it was the right choice. I'm delighted with the result!

The model I have is now offered for delivery February 2022 which illustrates the current supply issues. I imagine other brands do have shorter lead times. I know from friends experience long lead times are proving to be suppliers erring on the side of caution. I know two people who ordered from Ribble in December, delivery promised for April and the bikes arrived in February.

Last edited:

davelincs

Have you had a look at North road cycles, Manchester, from what I have read about them they will build a bike to your specification stem length, handle bar width, crank length , gearing etc, it might be worth giving them a ring

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

@Enlightenedwaistcoat from what you have written I feel you are very uncertain about the bike which will suit you and your needs. In this situation buying online could lead to real disappointment.

I would urge you to direct your research in two directions; first continue looking online as you are already doing as this will build your knowledge and secondly find a good independent bike shop. An LBS, local bike shop, as most would say.

When you find a good LBS they will be able to advise on sizing, styles, brands etc. In the current environment you may have to wait months for delivery and in the meantime the LBS should set up your current bike to be as comfortable as possible. In my opinion buying based on what is quickly available would be a mistake, I wouldn't even consider that option.

As for models? I don't have the knowledge to advise. I do feel a gravel bike would suit your needs. Last December I took delivery of a Kinesis Tripster and can thoroughly recommend the brand for design and build quality. I did have some initial reservations but my LBS, which I've used for 20+ years, assured me it was the right choice. I'm delighted with the result!

The model I have is now offered for delivery February 2022 which illustrates the current supply issues. I imagine other brands do have shorter lead times. I know from friends experience long lead times are proving to be suppliers erring on the side of caution. I know two people who ordered from Ribble in December, delivery promised for April and the bikes arrived in February.
Thanks for this advice. I'm not intending to buy online but finding shops that even have a model in that fits is proving to be a challenge. I've tried Evans (only because I was in the area and nipped in on a whim) and Giant so now I'm going to try and find some local bike shops. Anyone have any recs for Manchester? I know of Ken Fosters but don't know what sort of things he stocks and Edinburgh cycle collective from my uni days (are they still a thing)?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for this advice. I'm not intending to buy online but finding shops that even have a model in that fits is proving to be a challenge. I've tried Evans (only because I was in the area and nipped in on a whim) and Giant so now I'm going to try and find some local bike shops. Anyone have any recs for Manchester? I know of Ken Fosters but don't know what sort of things he stocks and Edinburgh cycle collective from my uni days (are they still a thing)?
Although I'm only 40 minutes from Manchester I don't know any to recommend. My LBS is in Blackburn and that's a long journey if you're hoping to build a relationship with a shop.

A thought for you? Have you considered a Dolan. I've had two in my cycling life and both were excellent bikes, I really enjoyed them. I have several friends and my son who ride Dolans and are very satisfied.

Dolan sales are mainly online but they do have a shop in Burscough you can visit. I haven't been but know two people who have and both praised the service and attention to their needs that they received.

The shop is in Burscough and there's an excellent cafe on the other side of the road called Merlin - nothing to do with the online cycling website. I appreciate it's a bit of a trek from Manchester but could be very worthwhile.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom