Looking for bike advice after a few failed bike shop trips - feeling lost, help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I haven't tried anything as every shop I've been to so far (and I've been to a few) has got nothing in stock. I was looking for a gravel bike, that one looked good, not too aggressive, decent components, is in my price range and women's geometry so figured it was as good as any. I'm open to trying others - but nowhere has anything in stock. I'm adamant I'm not going to buy anything without having seen it and made sure it's suitable first but at this rate it looks like I won't get anything this year. I've looked at the cube nuroad, devote, revolt and a cannondale topstone so I'm not absolutely set on one particular model as such but I just figured I might get on better with something with women's geometry - but I won't know that until I try it.

Edit - I tried to start a dialogue with giant in Blackburn but the guy tried to push me into getting a toughroad - which I absolutely do not want.
At 5’8 with a 30” inside leg you probably won’t need to focus on a wsd model, you probably have similar proportions to a man of a similar height as you’re not especially long legged which can be the main difference (I’m 5’9.5 with a 34” inside leg which would be long for a bloke of my height).
You’ll probably want a wsd saddle though.
There aren’t many wsd specific gravel models yet, if you want real world feedback on the Devote, join the Velovixen Facebook group, very active on all things female and cycling :becool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

At 5’8 with a 30” inside leg you probably won’t need to focus on a wsd model, you probably have similar proportions to a man of a similar height as you’re not especially long legged which can be the main difference (I’m 5’9.5 with a 34” inside leg which would be long for a bloke of my height).
You’ll probably want a wsd saddle though.
There aren’t many wsd specific gravel models yet, if you want real world feedback on the Devote, join the Velovixen Facebook group, very active on all things female and cycling :becool:
Thanks! I joined over the weekend so just waiting to be accepted. I actually ordered a new saddle for the hybrid and it came today - a definite improvement on the razorblade that is the bodygeometry stock saddle. I got the selle italia diva gel (blegh what a stupid name) but it does feel like a big improvement. The only thing I'm worried about is the reach being too long and having to overstretch really.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks! I joined over the weekend so just waiting to be accepted. I actually ordered a new saddle for the hybrid and it came today - a definite improvement on the razorblade that is the bodygeometry stock saddle. I got the selle italia diva gel (blegh what a stupid name) but it does feel like a big improvement. The only thing I'm worried about is the reach being too long and having to overstretch really.
The reach on what? New bike? Just get the right size, probably a 52cm TT, you can always get a shorter stem. Compare the geometries of the different bikes

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I haven't tried anything as every shop I've been to so far (and I've been to a few) has got nothing in stock. I was looking for a gravel bike, that one looked good, not too aggressive, decent components, is in my price range and women's geometry so figured it was as good as any. I'm open to trying others - but nowhere has anything in stock. I'm adamant I'm not going to buy anything without having seen it and made sure it's suitable first but at this rate it looks like I won't get anything this year. I've looked at the cube nuroad, devote, revolt and a cannondale topstone so I'm not absolutely set on one particular model as such but I just figured I might get on better with something with women's geometry - but I won't know that until I try it.

Edit - I tried to start a dialogue with giant in Blackburn but the guy tried to push me into getting a toughroad - which I absolutely do not want.

To be realistic this is the situation and I think you'll be lucky to find a bike for the coming season, for want of a better word. You're taking exactly the right approach re wanting to see the bike etc. I would spend the time researching exactly what you want, narrow it down to 2-3 bikes and hope to buy in the autumn.

Afterall a good gravel bike will make an excellent winter bike as well.

rivers

How far can I go?
As @vickster said, you don't need to focus on a women's specific model- especially at your height. I'm 5'2" with a 30.5" inseam, and most of my bikes are men's/unisex models. 2 of them have a female saddle, but my TT bike has a unisex saddle. I think my mountain bike might be a WSD, but it was given to me by a friend, so I don't really know.
But you do need to sit on the bike, and hopefully give it a test ride. Good luck with your search. And gravel bikes are tons of fun

Tommohawk

Is it the AR1?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I’m considering the contend SL1 but the ar’s look like good bikes too.
I really like it! I have nothing to compare with as this is my first road bike but I wanted something with clearance for bigger tyres if needed. I think the clearance is 40mm (at least that's what the website says) and it came with 32mm. Yesterday's ride took me down a very bumpy path (unpaved), onto the road, a paved traffic free cycle path and the transpennine trail which was a mixture of packed gravel, mud and the occasional bit of pavement, and it was all good. Had bikes not been in such short supply I may well have ended up coming away with a revolt, but then again I may have sat on it, not liked it and gone for the contend AR anyway. I sat on a Trek Checkpoint and it wasn't my bag really.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I've seen a Cannondale Topstone that I like the look of...
Supply is indeed incredibly poor at the moment, I've been in the trade thirty years plus and it's never been this bad; some of the popular brands are now 2023 for new orders; no wonder a few established local bike stores are deciding to call it a day.

There will be bikes available but the majority will be those the store pre-ordered last year that are arriving in dribs and drabs; stores that didn't do just that are in for an extremely challenging year. Fortunately gravel bikes like the Cannondale Topstone range that you are considering are very popular, so the stores that did place orders last year will no doubt include bikes of that style.

The way bikes are supplied at the moment has of course changed and so has the way the consumer shops. In pre pandemic times fact finding visiting stores to see what was a valid choice then taking time to ponder those choices was part of the joy of buying your shiny new two wheeled friend. At the moment the pondering part of that process is not as viable as bikes are in such short supply that the few that finally arrive don't stay on the shop for very long. I had a customer come in last week and I was able to offer three bikes, two days later when they had made their decision all three were gone and the ETA to replace them were all at least a year away; very odd times!

Hopefully your local store can offer you something suitable although at the moment you may need to compromise, the ETA may be longer and for a bike that wasn't even your ideal first or even second choice; but it should at least be an appropriate choice.

Last edited:

CharleyFarley

A good bike shop should be able to fit you to the bike of your choice, or they could suggest something for you. Hopefully, the sales person would be knowledgeable about fitting you. Ideally, you tell them the position you prefer to ride, and they should be able to get you set up.

Top Bottom