Geoffrey Butler Cycles Closed Down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The end of a South London institution. I have just seen that I received this mail yesterday

We have Closed.
We regret to inform you that Geoffrey Butler Cycles Ltd will be closing its doors today.
Our last day of business will be on 07/02/2021. After that date Geoffrey Butler Cycles Ltd will no longer be offering retail or workshop services.
The decision to close down the business was not an easy one, and we were hoping to give people more notice than a day.
It’s been a trying time for all this past year; We would like to thank all of our customers that have shopped with us over the last 40 plus years, under the current owner, and wish you all well.
Sincerely
George Clare & Stephen Delaney
Director

Sharky

Guru
That's sad. I've bought a few things from them over the years and they always provided a good service.

It’s always sad when a long-established and respected shop closes down.
I fear this might be the start of things to come, what with onlines sales rising, Brexit-related issues and problems with corona - both economy related and much fewer customers due to shutdowns etc.
😢

Crippling rent, rates and service charges.
Internet shopping.
Customers who spend an age in the shop then buy elsewhere.
Tight fisted cyclists who want everything for free or less.
Lockdown cyclists who want their BSO converted to a TDF winner in a morning and expect a pack of jaffa cakes to cover everything.

And, if rumours are true, less than perfect management after previous proprietors sold up and retired.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's always sad to read of an LBS closing. I don't know the shop at all but I'm surprised in a populous area, I assume Croydon is, this has happened.

My LBS, local town population +/- 130,000, is stacked out and has been for a year. Second quarter of 2020 his best ever, third quarter slightly behind. Whenever I go in they're busy. Popped in a week ago and every available inch of floorspace was taken up 80 boxes of new bikes!!!

The current philosophy is grab everything they can when supply is offered.

vickster

Legendary Member
They were quite a high end shop (Italian brands mainly) in what is not really a heavy higher end road cycling area ime (and the shop was in a difficult place with limited parking). Places like Sigma and Pearsons (Sheen) seem to be thriving, being in SW London close to Richmond Park is perhaps a better location than S Croydon beneath the flyover

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I ran the CTC Shop on a franchise basis for them so I am really sad to see them close. I have the upmost respect and fondness for all involved at Geoffrey Butler Cycles, nearly all of them have been there for years; they must all be truly devastated on every level. I fear there will be more casualties during this pandemic, cycle retail has not been as amazing as many may understanbly assume.

Yes the demand for everything cycling during the summer was much higher than normal, but supply was much worse than normal and it's getting worse. A few weeks ago I quoted a customer 'June' for a Medium Trek Slash 8; which is a current bike, we had just sold the one we had ordered back in the summer; the customer responded unsurprisingly with "Oh no, five months"; I then finished what I had started and said "not June 2021, June 2022!".

The availability of parts is not much better, a few days ago I tried to quote for a custom build using the customer's existing frame and updating to Shimano GRX810, nearly all of that had late summer and into the winter lead times. I still work for a LBS and am personally still part time Furlough, I am bike fitter and salesman, I can not do the former and am very limited to what I can offer regarding the latter. Brexit has also taken everyone by surprise as well, imports are slower and far more expensive, expect to see significant price increases to bikes especially.

All the above will have been the same for Geoffrey Butler, I had a few chats with their Director Stephen Delaney during the last few months, talking through how we hoped we would get through this with supply being so poor. The distributors seem to be supporting the larger multi outlet online stores more than a quality LBS, their business model is far more 'click and collect' and they use their stores far more as that, a collection point to distribute their large stock holding. For sure they were brave and invested heavily with large orders that the suppliers fulfilled while they could. I know the majority of local bike stores were more conservative and paused to see what was going to evolve, for all we knew we were going to have to close and then have no revenue to pay for all that stock, that slight caution was both understandable and arguably I believe they were showing due diligence; sadly in hindsight it effectively resulted in them missing the opportunity to get stock while it was still available. Fair play to the decision makers and those who fund these large outlets, they took an educated gamble and it worked perfectly, but for me it's similar to Supermarkets versus local Green Grocers, Butchers and Bakers, it's all rather fabulous but I feel on many levels we are much poorer for it.

The multi outlet click and collect business model can work to an extent, although it has to be said it's these chains that often get into financial difficulty, but for me it's works far more on a business level than it does for what I would personally look for. I'm not just talking about the cycle trade, I'd much rather buy something from someone that offers a superior service than I would give my business to someone just because they can supply the item I want. In the case of a quality LBS they may offer a 'sizing' and then 'collection fit', the former not only helping with size choice but often what is the most suitable model as well; far more danger of ordering the wrong size or model when it's 'click and buy/collect'.

Odd times for us all, I sincerely hope all involved get something soon.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Without quoting I'd very much echo what @Paul_Smith SRCC says in his final paragraph. It is precisely why the LBS is so very important to some cyclists.

On the pricing question my LBS gave me to understand 15% is the likely price increase for 2021 with no discounting other than to well established customers. Apparently the cost of shipping a container from China has risen from £2500 to £10000.

On parts for my new build delivered in December it took two months to source the 105 groupset. I'm told Shimano have a full order book for the next 12 months.

Top Bottom