Looking for bike advice after a few failed bike shop trips - feeling lost, help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Although I'm only 40 minutes from Manchester I don't know any to recommend. My LBS is in Blackburn and that's a long journey if you're hoping to build a relationship with a shop.

A thought for you? Have you considered a Dolan. I've had two in my cycling life and both were excellent bikes, I really enjoyed them. I have several friends and my son who ride Dolans and are very satisfied.

Dolan sales are mainly online but they do have a shop in Burscough you can visit. I haven't been but know to people who have and both praised the service and attention to their needs that they received.

The shop is in Burscough and there's an excellent cafe on the other side of the road called Merlin - nothing to do with the online cycling website. I appreciate it's a bit of a trek from Manchester but could be very worthwhile.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/
Well I went to Blackburn yesterday to visit Giant, so I guess if the shop is good and they provide good advice then it's worth it (unlike yesterday's experience!). Burscough is a bit more of a distance but any opportunity for a trip out eh!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I went to Blackburn yesterday to visit Giant, so I guess if the shop is good and they provide good advice then it's worth it (unlike yesterday's experience!). Burscough is a bit more of a distance but any opportunity for a trip out eh!
I didn't know that shop existed. I must go and have a look.

You were only three miles from my LBS, Ewood Bikes. They don't carry a lot of stock but the service and advice is superb. I suspect though Dolan might suit your needs better.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I echo PaulSB in his suggestion of Dolan , but have you looked at what Ribble have to offer ( sorry if this has already been suggested ) . More travel for you ,but another trip out.
[edit] just seen PaulSB has already suggested Ribble .

Last edited:

chris-suffolk

WOW - bikes are in shorter supply than I thought. Only one I can find near Manchester is the Trek Domane SL 2 from Cookson cycles, but it's £2325, though they do seem to have a few sizes in stock.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

WOW - bikes are in shorter supply than I thought. Only one I can find near Manchester is the Trek Domane SL 2 from Cookson cycles, but it's £2325, though they do seem to have a few sizes in stock.
The guy at Evans was under the impression that supply issues in a lot of brands were beginning to ease. Giant have a few in stock dotted across the country but its limited. I've contacted a place in Warrington via email and I'm just waiting for a response. I'm not in a rush, I'd much rather have the right thing. If it isn't right, I'm not likely to want to get out on it I guess.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Ugh another failed search. Found somewhere in Warrington that seemed promising. They have a Devote 2 coming in in July but I wanted the Devote 1 and they've just replied with 'hope you get fixed up' 😔 there's no way I'm going to commit to a bike I haven't even sat on, nor do I want to compromise. I know bikes are few and far between at the min but still! Not a reason to settle for something I'm not sure on. Am I being too picky?! She tells me that's the only Devote they're getting in this year as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think there’s a Giant store in Liverpool? Maybe they can access central stocks more easily than a small LBS? If you want a bike this year, you may need to be a bit less picky

Last edited:

chris-suffolk

Prob not much help, but there's a shop in Kent claiming to have stock

And a number of gravel bikes, looking new(ish) on Gumtree around Manchester area (+100 miles) - many from shops / retailers rather than private.

Last edited:

chris-suffolk

What he said ^^^^

Establish an old fanshioned dialogue, shows you're serious too and you can talk through options, likes, dislikes. I'd do it with a few shops given how scarce things are right now

Have you tried out the Devote 1? What is it about that one bike as opposed to others that are similar?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

What he said ^^^^

Establish an old fanshioned dialogue, shows you're serious too and you can talk through options, likes, dislikes. I'd do it with a few shops given how scarce things are right now

Have you tried out the Devote 1? What is it about that one bike as opposed to others that are similar?
I haven't tried anything as every shop I've been to so far (and I've been to a few) has got nothing in stock. I was looking for a gravel bike, that one looked good, not too aggressive, decent components, is in my price range and women's geometry so figured it was as good as any. I'm open to trying others - but nowhere has anything in stock. I'm adamant I'm not going to buy anything without having seen it and made sure it's suitable first but at this rate it looks like I won't get anything this year. I've looked at the cube nuroad, devote, revolt and a cannondale topstone so I'm not absolutely set on one particular model as such but I just figured I might get on better with something with women's geometry - but I won't know that until I try it.

Edit - I tried to start a dialogue with giant in Blackburn but the guy tried to push me into getting a toughroad - which I absolutely do not want.

vickster

Legendary Member
What he said ^^^^

Who’s he?

Top Bottom