Looking for cargo shorts with large pockets, a bit of stretch and a reinforced seat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks for that. Looked at them a few weeks ago but the cargo pockets just aren't big enough. Shame, as in all other regards they're great.

Love the Hummvees and had a couple of pairs in the past for leisure riding, but again, the cargo pockets just aren't big enough. When I'm riding for fun I stash the various gadgets and dextrose tabs in a toptube bag but when working I need them on me. Good recommendation though, so thanks.

Pic below shows why the size/volume of pockets is important, and zipped pockets can be challenging too as the protective cases on the pump controller and glucose sensor reader like to grip things and turn pockets inside out. Very grateful to have access to the tech, just a bit of a faff lugging it around for 2/3 of the year when you don't want to wear a jacket.
EDIT: left out the wallet!

View attachment 599361
Blimey!
Hummers, or I'd go a small man-bag for that....

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
There used to be a great one in Westcliff on sea, there is a good one in Herne Bay as well.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Quite honestly you'd be okay with just about any cotton cargo shorts bought off the shelf that have thigh pockets.
Don't understand why you need a reinforced seat, never been a problem for me cycling here, they usually go around the pockets and the hem of the legs first.
I live in them and buy from the secondhand market, the obruni wawoo (clothes from the dead white man) brought in from all over.
George at Asda usually have some gooduns.
I have some Humvees but hardly ever wear them now.

I live in them and buy from the secondhand market, the obruni wawoo (clothes from the dead white man) brought in from all over.

had to google that :smile:
you should launch an international brand with that name.
Puts me in mind of the late glory glory days of Laurence Corner when there were a few places called Flip in London selling old American clothes.
I have a few very loud jackets that were probably last worn by deceased spivvy midwestern car salesmen, though don't think I can get into them anymore.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
As a Type 1 diabetic myself, I know where you're coming from. I can't add much re: shorts, but I notice you carry Dextro Energy tabs. I stopped buying them shortly after I was diagnosed as I found they broke up in my pockets far too easily. I was throwing more out than I was eating!

Instead, I carry Glucotabs which come in plastic tubes of 10 and 50 tablet refills. Just tried to search them and apparently they are called Lift glucose tabs now... anyway here's a link...

https://www.liftglucose.com/lift-chewable-tablets/

I have a tube of them in a pouch on my belt most days, and they keep for ages.

I remember Flip, great place for interesting stuff.
yep, covent garden before it became chainstores, one in shoreditch when it was almost a ghost-area, pre hipster.
I assume they packed it in in those areas because of rising rents - not sure what happened to them.
I used to wear some of their curious shirts to work.

Brooks

I remember Laurence Corner well, it really was a go to shop for all manor of things. It was the place to get those olive green cargo strides when they first came out.
There is a surplus shop on Royal College st just past Castles pie & mash and it's right next to the C6 cycle path.

OP
OP
Pedropete

Pedropete

Guru
Quite honestly you'd be okay with just about any cotton cargo shorts bought off the shelf that have thigh pockets.
Don't understand why you need a reinforced seat, never been a problem for me cycling here, they usually go around the pockets and the hem of the legs first.
George at Asda usually have some gooduns.
I have some Humvees but hardly ever wear them now.
Like I say, work shorts, which means they take a beating, and i cover a lot of miles so the backside does too. Been using cotton cargos for years and while they’re fine off the bike they don’t cut it for the work and miles I’m doing. And if it rains they’re not much fun to be in so something that dries faster would be good.

vickster

Legendary Member
Check out these on sport pursuit? (You’ll need to join up to browse)

Attachments

• E379BD30-CC30-41E2-8223-C4BB8ACF7101.png
    E379BD30-CC30-41E2-8223-C4BB8ACF7101.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom