Looking for cargo shorts with large pockets, a bit of stretch and a reinforced seat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As per the title, I'm looking for cargo shorts that are suitable for wearing while cycling. I'm actually working from the bike and having T1 diabetes means I have to carry a fair few medical gadgets and carbs on my person in addition to the usual wallet, phone, keys etc. This means that from Spring to Autumn I essentially live in cargo shorts, but my normal Levis have zero stretch and no reinforcement in the seat so they're all on the verge of gaining unwanted ventilation.

I've had various work shorts in the past with all manner of flappy pockets and tool holders but none of them actually have decent sized cargo pockets or reinforced seats. Something with a bit of stretch would be nice too.

Recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As per the title, I'm looking for cargo shorts that are suitable for wearing while cycling. I'm actually working from the bike and having T1 diabetes means I have to carry a fair few of medical gadgets and carbs on my person in addition to the usual wallet, phone keys etc. This means that from Spring to Autumn I essentially live in cargo shorts, but my normal Levis have zero stretch and no reinforcement in the seat so they're all on the verge of gaining unwanted ventilation.

I've had various work shorts in the past with all manner of flappy pockets and tool holders but none of them actually have decent sized cargo pockets or reinforced seats. Something with a bit of stretch would nice too.

Recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks!
Have found these really good for stretchiness and cycling/camping/walking etc....all round fabness... have lasted well, and not a Kings ransom.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s...shorts-trek500/_/R-p-192277?mc=8493658&c=GREY

Won't be as cheap as foodie's suggestion and I don't know if enough stowage, but I would check out Endura Humvees.
They come with a clip-in padded liner which always strikes me as a daft idea/unecessary expense as you can of course just wear your own understuff - each of which you can only use once before a wash.
I'd also check out Mountain Warehouse - I have a few pairs of some great light but very tough synthetic cargo shorts of theirs - cost me about £15 I think. Not in current range but newer stuff may be close to them - the marketing dept is forever changing the range and names.

edit - just seen winjims's post on similar lines.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Won't be as cheap as foodie's suggestion and I don't know if enough stowage, but I would check out Endura Humvees.
They come with a clip-in padded liner which always strikes me as a daft idea/unecessary expense as you can of course just wear your own understuff - each of which you can only use once before a wash.
I'd also check out Mountain Warehouse - I have a few pairs of some great light but very tough synthetic cargo shorts of theirs - cost me about £15 I think. Not in current range but newer stuff may be close to them - the marketing dept is forever changing the range and names.

edit - just seen winjims's post on similar lines.
Would agree that there may not be enough stowage, depending on requirements. They have cargo pockets but not mahoosive ones like on a proper pair of non-cycling cargo shorts. They're certainly more than sufficient for my needs and big enough that I lose stuff in them, but I'm not carrying any extra medical gadgets.

They're big enough to carry bike tools, spare tube and mini pump without the need for a saddlebag, if that helps.

Agree re Humvees, they have good storage in those long deep rear leg pockets, but not very stretchy and can be hot too in the summer....
what are those long pockets with the diagonal edge and velcro closing for?
Someone told me they are for maps but I can't think that a map would last long there.
I never trust those pockets for anything of any worth.
For stowage my mountain warehouse things are better - lots of zips .
Humvees are great shorts for touring though - very tough.

OP
OP
Pedropete

Pedropete

Guru
Have found these really good for stretchiness and cycling/camping/walking etc....all round fabness... have lasted well, and not a Kings ransom.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s...shorts-trek500/_/R-p-192277?mc=8493658&c=GREY
Thanks for that. Looked at them a few weeks ago but the cargo pockets just aren't big enough. Shame, as in all other regards they're great.

Endura Hummvee are good. The rear pockets are particularly voluminous. Come with a click in liner which may or may not be your thing but you can always ditch it and just wear the shorts. Also come in a 3/4 length version.
https://www.endurasport.com/hummvee-short-ii-with-liner-black/12924026.html
Love the Hummvees and had a couple of pairs in the past for leisure riding, but again, the cargo pockets just aren't big enough. When I'm riding for fun I stash the various gadgets and dextrose tabs in a toptube bag but when working I need them on me. Good recommendation though, so thanks.

Pic below shows why the size/volume of pockets is important, and zipped pockets can be challenging too as the protective cases on the pump controller and glucose sensor reader like to grip things and turn pockets inside out. Very grateful to have access to the tech, just a bit of a faff lugging it around for 2/3 of the year when you don't want to wear a jacket.
EDIT: left out the wallet!

EBAC9E5D-20D5-405A-9F41-8B6556448852.jpeg

Last edited:
I find Engelbert Strauss work trousers extremely comfortable and effective, and they seem to handle saddle wear very well. They're also relatively inexpensive.

Mountain Warehouse cargo shorts range
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/trousers-shorts/cargo-shorts/

As I said forget what mine are called and not current but very good - they screw up very small so I use them as backups for the humvees when touring.
To be honest I wouldn't worry about a reinforced bottom if the shorts are plain non fancy synthetic rather than more delicate lycra.
Am pretty confident that if the earth is fried to a crisp my mountain warehouse thingies will survive.
Am assuming of course that you will be wearing something underneath.

I miss army and navy surplus, although it has to be said I look a bit more respectable since no longer having access to them...
Laurence Corner just off the Euston Road was surely the best on the planet - sadly sadly gone.
Provided much stuff for my Vespa-ing days.
Also supposedly kitted out Sgt Pepper.
Bought a camouflage net for my student place there (not sure what happened to that) and also just the place to buy a secondhand parachute, possibly unopened by its one owner.

Top Bottom