Looking for feedback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
RE: Roadsafe London.

I am trying to get a system like RSL created in North Wales. However, I need real evidence of the system working. So I would like to hear what responses and help people who have reported incidents via Roadsafe have had.
Is it easier than calling 101 or going into the police station? Do you get the same support? Is the system easy to use? And are there any improvements that could be made to the system?

PM me your case studies and I will add them into a report I am compiling for the Police and Crime Commissioner.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It doesn't happen in Manchester so what makes you think it will happen out there. Traffic isnt half as bad. The cops out there are more interested in speeding offences.

Good luck

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
North Wales is a large area and we are talking from Anglesey to Chester. That area probably would have the same amount of reports as Roadsafe which is constricted to just London.
The demand for the system probably isnt high because most people dont know about RSL. I am sure that if a system was implemented, it would be used regularly.

Cheddar George

oober member
Why would it have the same amount of reports ?. I would guesstimate that 10 times the population would bring 10 times the number of reports. ("just" London having the larger population.)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
These are all rather defeatist replies. I applaud you, Matthew, for trying to make it happen where you are - I wish there was a similar scheme in York-ish, but I haven't had the time or energy to make a fuss about it as you are doing.

There's no harm in asking for what you want; how are the police to know what we want unless we tell them? And expecting the answer 'no' is not a valid reason for not asking. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.

If there aren't many reports, it won't cost much to run a scheme, will it? But it might do some good.

So perhaps some of you sceptical Londoners could be helpful enough to actually answer Matthew's question, instead of sneering at him?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
:blush:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Is it easier than calling 101 or going into the police station? Do you get the same support? Is the system easy to use? And are there any improvements that could be made to the system?
Is it easier than calling 101 or going into the police station?
Depends on how the system is set up. With roadsafe I just fill out the form, include the link to the youtube video and that is it. That is depending on what they choose to do, I may need to later submit a statement and include a copy of a DVD.
Roadsafe was originally set up to gather basic intelligence about general road crimes, they were expecting info on drink drivers and uninsured drivers. Cyclists just so happened to jump on board as a way to report videos and after that it has grown.

Do you get the same support?
It's a different system with a different purpose, I don't report general stuff to the police station, only the very serious cases. These go straight to a traffic criminal justice unit who just deal with traffic crimes. Correspondents from this unit will all be by the post. Generally with roadsafe we just get an e-mail response with what they have done.

Is the system easy to use?
Yes, a webform that takes less than 2mins to fill out.

And are there any improvements that could be made to the system?
Better responses, more detailed information and more staff.

The best way to sell this matthew is as a system not just for reporting videos but for anyone to use to report any sort of road crime, be that drink driving, no insurance, lack of MOT and bad drivers.
The problem you have is that it will be slow to start with, will they hold on to the system to see if it is worth while?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
North Wales is a large area and we are talking from Anglesey to Chester. That area probably would have the same amount of reports as Roadsafe which is constricted to just London.
The demand for the system probably isnt high because most people dont know about RSL. I am sure that if a system was implemented, it would be used regularly.
What sort of population is that?
Greater London has a population of over 7.7 million people. London has the most amount cycle camera users out of all the cities in the world, a huge number of moto vlogers and a good amount of cars with cameras. In the 3 and a bit years that roadsafe has been running there have been just over 12000 reports.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Thanks Gaz. As you said, these systems take a long time to take off. My contact with Road Justice has informed me that Crimestoppers are currently looking into getting a nationwide reporting system. The system will be created by Facewatch and discussions are currently going on to see if it would be a good idea to use this tool across the country.
Using a national system would be a lot less expensive than a local one and possibly more efficient as the whole country could use the system and reports would be sent to the relevant Policing authority.

I will be proposing this to my PCC too, just to find out if it would be something to interest North Wales Police.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Thanks Gaz. As you said, these systems take a long time to take off. My contact with Road Justice has informed me that Crimestoppers are currently looking into getting a nationwide reporting system. The system will be created by Facewatch and discussions are currently going on to see if it would be a good idea to use this tool across the country.
Using a national system would be a lot less expensive than a local one and possibly more efficient as the whole country could use the system and reports would be sent to the relevant Policing authority.

I will be proposing this to my PCC too, just to find out if it would be something to interest North Wales Police.
I can't comment on the crimestoppers system as I have no knowledge about it and nothing to do with it. :whistle:

Top Bottom