Looking for my first hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pete146

Hi

I'm new here, and just looking for some total beginner advice!

I haven't owned a bike since I was 16 - over 20 years ago. My memories include forever putting chains back on, repairing punctures, and trying to stop brakes squeaking!

I realise that things have moved on a LOT. I started researching bikes online today and realised that I was entirely lost.

I wouldn't be using a bike to commute, or train, or race, or climb mountains. It would be to go for leisurely bike rides with my family, and occasionally to get to the shops rather than taking the car. Maybe in the future an hour long blast on my own after work. So, I'd use it on the road (but not particularly quickly), on grass, on bridle paths etc. Based on what I've read, I think a hybrid is the way to go?

I really don't want t spend a fortune - but neither do I want to be constantly having to maintain the bike. I love the idea of a belt rather than a chain, and a gear hub - but I think these things may be beyond my budget.

So, having read lots of reviews - the below are bikes that I am considering going to look at:

B'Twin - Riverside 500 or 900
Carrera - Crossfire 2 or 3, Subway 2,
VooDoo - Marasa

These are all £200-£400

OR, I could push the boat out and look at a Boardman for £500-£600 - The MX Comp, MX Sport, Hybrid comp.

In my situation, where would you recommend I start??? Do any of these bikes stand out as 'better than the rest' for my needs? Do any of them have any particular bad points? Would I notice the difference if I paid the extra for a Boardman? Am I better looking at the B'Twin simply to avoid Halfords?

Any help and advice you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello pete and welcome. All are good but there are a few points to consider.
On budget bikes I would avoid suspension forks because you don't want a chunk of your money going into something you don't really need. Avoid.
The Subway range gets good reviews on here and is a solid but basic bike.
At the top end the Boardman bikes are excellent value, again avoid the suspension. They have better grade components and a better finish. The frame welds are also smoothed which give them a more premium look. Cheaper frames do not have this feature, as well as some at this and higher price points, don't know if this is important to you.
Go for disc brakes if you want the best all weather stopping power.
Look out for special offers on Halfords bikes as they are always chopping and changing. Cycle Republic is Halfords under another name.
Here's another to add to the mix, Evans own brand Pinnacle bike:
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-3-2017-hybrid-bike-EV275573
Kona are a good brand:
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bikes-c4/hybrid-rigid-c30/dew-plus-hybrid-bike-2016-p17195
Have a look and throw a leg over if you're not sure. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pete146

Many thanks for the advice

So do you think that there would be a noticeable difference between say a Carrera/Subway and a Boardman (for somebody riding it as I intend to?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Of course you will notice the difference, but it'll be subtle. Its like anything you buy the law of diminished returns kicks in the further up the price structure you go but fit, finish, serviceability of components will all improve.
I don't think you'll regret spending a bit more but its entirely up to you. You need to go and see and if you can ride them. Look at the bikes as price increases and try to evaluate the improvements the better specs give you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Many thanks for the advice

So do you think that there would be a noticeable difference between say a Carrera/Subway and a Boardman (for somebody riding it as I intend to?
Where are you located? Cycle Republic, cycling dedicated part of Halfords, have a wide range of bikes and do no obligation test rides (unlike Halfords branches)

Try the models you are interested and see which you like most :smile:

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/stores-finder

OP
OP
P

pete146

Where are you located? Cycle Republic, cycling dedicated part of Halfords, have a wide range of bikes and do no obligation test rides (unlike Halfords branches)

Try the models you are interested and see which you like most :smile:

Thanks - that's good to know! I'm in Doncaster, South Yorkshire - but I work in Leeds and I see there is a Cycle Republic close to my work :smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Carrera Subways are a great bike at the price point and would be ideally suited for the type of rides you describe.
Do not worry about buying a bike from Halfords - there are a few horror stories on the net, but I've had three bikes from them now (and Mrs ND has had two) without any notable issues

The Boardmans are better bikes, without a doubt, but it's up to you if you can justify the additional expense as any difference on the rides you describe will be marginal.
I've got an MX Sport and love it, but you don't really need the front suspension for the rides you're describing so it's weight and cost you can avoid.
I'd suggest that would make the Hybrid Comp more suitable and it's significantly lighter than any of the Carreras, has a slightly wider range of gears and much better tyres.
If you can find one, the 2016 Hybrid Comp is on run out and currently on offer at £400...which makes it a very tempting deal.

If you do decide to buy from Halfords, British Cycling membership (from £22) gets you 10% off virtually everything in store so would more than pay for itself with any of those bikes - and that's before you've started on accessories, locks, etc. :okay:

OP
OP
P

pete146

I agree wh Dave, I'd get the hybrid comp or the Voodoo Marasa, I wouldnt be getting anything with suspension forks.Its a complete waste of time, they will be heavy and like a pogo stick.

Well I'm on the right lines then - they are the 2 I've narrowed it down to!
Voodoo Masara & Hyrbid comp 2016 - Both at £400.
My reserve is the Subway 2 @ £350.

Going to look into the cycle to work scheme at work tomorrow :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For around the £400 you'll get a good bike easily. It will be a joy to ride.

I bought my missus a Pinnacle Hybrid about 6 years ago and she loves it. So smooth, everything works, nice to ride. Much nicer than any bike she had previously.

OP
OP
P

pete146

So - I'm going to Cycle Republic tomorrow to look at 2:

My first choice (if it fits as it's clearence) is the Boardman Hybrid comp
Reserve choice, in case I don't like / can't get the Boardman is the VooDoo

The Boardman is the 2016 model that's being phased out, but it's reduced from £500 to £400.

I don't think there is much between them, but from what I read, the Boardman has very slightly higher spec components. Really depends which one fits me best, and which I enjoy riding most - I think I'll be extremely happy with either!

Many thanks for all the help, I'll let you know how I get on.

Top Bottom