Looking for suggestions for Holland mini break.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I'm not sure if it's the excellent weather or not, but Mrs Slick and I have both been thinking of doing a nice and easy mini tour of Holland without any idea of where to start. We reckoned to keep it simple we would get the dfds boat from North Sheilds to Ijmuiden and would be looking to stay at hotels. Distance wise I reckon 50 miles a day or thereabouts is enough but we could stretch that a bit and would be looking to spend 4 or 5 days away. Mrs Slick reckons she may prefer an organised run of some description but I would prefer to do our own thing, especially if I was able to get some good advice from others on here. We were thinking mid August but nothing is set in stone. As ever, thanks in advance.

Look at stayok hostels. We use them and find them spot on.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Find a guide book, decide where you want to go, then have a look at the Fietsknoop website (available in English) to plan routes. There's an app you can download for routing.

In the Netherlands you don't need an organiser - it's very friendly for cyclists, apart from the winds.

Hermskerk hostel is a castle in a moat.haarlem also easy distance from Ijmuiden. Cycle routes are well signed. Utrecht more chilled than crazy Amsterdam !

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Hermskerk hostel is a castle in a moat.haarlem also easy distance from Ijmuiden. Cycle routes are well signed. Utrecht more chilled than crazy Amsterdam !
Just had a lo9k at that and Mrs Slick would certainly love the idea of that. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Find a guide book, decide where you want to go, then have a look at the Fietsknoop website (available in English) to plan routes. There's an app you can download for routing.

In the Netherlands you don't need an organiser - it's very friendly for cyclists, apart from the winds.
Looks like a great site and handy app, nice one. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
The only down side to riding in Holland is when you come back to Blighty you will immediately realise how crap it is here to ride a bike.
I can believe that if I'm honest, especially as where I live right now I couldn't tell you how far I would need to ride to find anything in the way of cycling infrastructure. Probably the biggest reason I want to go as again if I'm being honest, Holland really hold little other appeal for me.

Crankarm

Guru
I can believe that if I'm honest, especially as where I live right now I couldn't tell you how far I would need to ride to find anything in the way of cycling infrastructure. Probably the biggest reason I want to go as again if I'm being honest, Holland really hold little other appeal for me.

The times I have been to Holland I have found it a very interesting country and the people very friendly. Dutch people seem to be so practical. Maybe this is because of their well developed cycle infrastructure. Don't forget the Dutch have some impressive art - the Rijks Museum, Van Gogh, Vermeer, Rembrandt, Mondrian. Then there are all the canals, architecture and cafes.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Arts never been my thing but canals and architecture maybe a bit more. I am interested in seeing what everyone is going on about re infrastructure, I was there a few years back but as a car driver so I didn't really pay much attention to what interests me most now.

Crankarm

Guru
Arts never been my thing but canals and architecture maybe a bit more. I am interested in seeing what everyone is going on about re infrastructure, I was there a few years back but as a car driver so I didn't really pay much attention to what interests me most now.
Well it will be a rude awakening to how bad we have it here. If there is a cycling Mecca it is probably Holland, closely followed by Denmark and France with it's quiet voieverts, C and D roads.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Well it will be a rude awakening to how bad we have it here. If there is a cycling Mecca it is probably Holland, closely followed by Denmark and France with it's quiet voieverts, C and D roads.
I'm looking forward to it even more now. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
You'll fall in love with Holland after a visit to a coffee shop.
Nah, much like the art scene I never really got that either, much the same with the red light thing. I have been before, just not by bike.

Top Bottom