Looking for suggestions for Holland mini break.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The only down side to riding in Holland is when you come back to Blighty you will immediately realise how crap it is here to ride a bike.
Especially if you return to Harwich then try to follow National Route 51 which starts with a small sign, hidden from view when you arrive at the port exit roundabout, with a bump up a high kerb, to a short stretch over broken paving slabs then wiggle around densely parked streets of residential terraces then heading EAST for a long detour around the headland before finally heading west towards London, all apparently because some council won't put cycle ways up the hill on the shortest route (Station Road and Parkeston Road) or convert Ray Lane westwards to Ramsey. You wouldn't make this shoot up because someone would say you're being too silly! :sad:

Last edited:
Especially if you return to Harwich then try to follow National Route 51 which starts with a small sign, hidden from view when you arrive at the port exit roundabout, with a bump up a high kerb, to a short stretch over broken paving slabs then wiggle around densely parked streets of residential terraces then heading EAST for a long detour around the headland before finally heading west towards London, all apparently because some council won't put cycle ways up the hill on the shortest route (Station Road and Parkeston Road) or convert Ray Lane westwards to Ramsey. You wouldn't make this shoot up because someone would say you're being too silly! :sad:

You must work for the tourist office :laugh::laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oh, come on! You can always set off down the A120 and enjoy the invigorating experience of 40 tonne trucks passing you with eighteen inches to spare.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
If u go ferry from Harwich avoid expensive food on ferry. Harvester by Tesco's on entry to port
Probably more choice if we do but I can't see us going past Newcastle. I am busy trying to convince Mrs Slick that we could cycle straight from here to the boat.

The only down side to riding in Holland is when you come back to Blighty you will immediately realise how crap it is here to ride a bike.
Totally agree. I've been in the Netherlands for nearly 2 years now and when I come back to Scotland I'm immediately struck by the almost total lack of cycling infrastructure, the cr@ppy road surfaces and the Mr Toad attitude of most UK drivers

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
cr@ppy road surfaces
The crappy surfaces of the bike lanes was one of the things I liked least about riding in NL. Whoever decided that block paving was a good idea for vehicles without suspension should be repeatedly beaten in the groin by a jackhammer.

And my impression of driving there was that drivers were incautious except around bikes.

mjr

The crappy surfaces of the bike lanes was one of the things I liked least about riding in NL. Whoever decided that block paving was a good idea for vehicles without suspension should be repeatedly beaten in the groin by a jackhammer.
I honestly didn't ride much of that. A little on older lanes in towns. Mostly it was tarmac and then a little concrete. One memorable cobbled steep descent onto fairly deep sand stands out but we've almost as bad in Norfolk.

And my impression of driving there was that drivers were incautious except around bikes.
Their trust in the priority rules is breathtaking.

Yeah, some of the block paving bike lanes leave a bit to be desired. As for the driving, I personally think the standard of driving is better than the UK

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I know. It takes nerve to trust that the drivers will stop for you the first few times that you do it.

It's a great feeling though as you bring a a 4 lane junction to a halt as you ride out.^_^^_^^_^^_^
We now have a kind of loop route planned but may need to make a few changes to make sure we get to bring a 4 lane junction to a halt. :thumbsup:

I know. It takes nerve to trust that the drivers will stop for you the first few times that you do it.

It's a great feeling though as you bring a a 4 lane junction to a halt as you ride out.^_^^_^^_^^_^

Just on that point, and I don't want to seem to be stating the obvious, but......

Cyclists do not have priority in every case! Outside of the cities, priority at junctions/roundabouts can be decided by the local council. Whereas one council gives priority to bikes, the next may not. On my daily commute I pass through 2 roundabouts a couple of hundred meters apart. One one I have priority, on the other, I don't. Different councils, different rules. Look for the "shark's teeth" painted on the ground.

Not every driver knows the rules! Watch out for the foreign drivers (especially UK! :laugh:). They can already be confused by being on the wrong side of the road. In the same vein, many drivers will stop for you as an automatic response, but in a two lane situation, the car behind may drive through!

Finally, while drivers are generally good, another risk is other cyclists who breeze through junctions with no regard for right of way at all!

My advice would be to approach every junction with caution, seeking to make eye contact with any approaching driver.

mjr

Look for the "shark's teeth" painted on the ground.
"Shark's teeth" are the triangular markings used in the UK for speed humps :rolleyes:. In particular: users of the route that they are painted across, pointing towards its users, should give way. So here the cyclists should give way twice:
View attachment 418902

and here the motorists should give way:
View attachment 418904

Not every driver knows the rules! Watch out for the foreign drivers (especially UK! :laugh:). They can already be confused by being on the wrong side of the road. In the same vein, many drivers will stop for you as an automatic response, but in a two lane situation, the car behind may drive through!
Almost all drivers will stop for you regardless of the markings, in my experience, but yes, watch out in multi-lane settings.

snorri

Legendary Member
After several cycle tours in the Netherlands I was still having some doubts regarding priority at junctions. It seemed to me that on occasion drivers were giving way to me when in fact they had priority. I discussed this with a local cyclist who explained that the drivers would have observed that I was a heavily laden touring cyclist (4 panniers and bar bag) and would have been happy to cede priority to me in order that I did not lose momentum at the junction:rolleyes:.

Top Bottom