looking for the right cable fixing bolt for my rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi and welcome to CC!
Make, model and a picture of said derailleur would help immensely: I have downloaded your manual, this information is not on the page you linked to.

OP
OP
H

hugo.m76

Hi and welcome to CC!
Make, model and a picture of said derailleur would help immensely: I have downloaded your manual, this information is not on the page you linked to.

this is part of my ongoing saga with my bike. this is all the information I have and was given. The only other identifying marks on the actual derailleur is Shimano 105 with a "D025" printed largely on the connecting piece to the frame. Even worse is that the company I bought it from have gone bankrupt and there are no specs available anywhere. It's a Nashbar Cyclocross, btw. The bike is great but it's been one problem after another. I'm still not sure what kind of BB I have, ha ha. My local bike shop guy is new and I have somewhat lost faith in him, I can't find any specs online, the company is nowhere to be found, and I've had to start *gasp* jogging to get exercise which has been actually pretty cool.

But I need help with this situation. I tried to add a photo where the missing bolt should be so I'm hoping it illustrates what my problem is and that the photos are not too potato.

Attachments

• 20190622_160529.jpg
    20190622_160529.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190622_160602.jpg
    20190622_160602.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190622_160646.jpg
    20190622_160646.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190622_160736.jpg
    20190622_160736.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190622_161935.jpg
    20190622_161935.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
H

hugo.m76

Here is the Nasbar website.
Maybe give them a call, or send an email with the bike's picture, ask for specs?
I've called them in the past to get information on the BB and the person on the other end basically told me they had no information, the company was bankrupt and no longer existed, and he was just there manning the phones for whatever reason, I don't remember exactly what he said about that. They're closed right now anyway but i'll try them again on Monday, I guess?

PapaZita

Guru
The bolt you ordered was for BR5700, which makes it a brake cable anchor bolt. That’s an M6 bolt, so yes, it’ll be one size (one millimetre) too big.

Something like this is probably exactly the right part:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105-RD-5800-Rear-Derailleur-Cable-Fixing-Bolt-Plate-RD-6800-usable/222613764442

However, as Flying Dodo says, just about any M5 bolt, about 8mm long, with a washer, will do the job. I’m not sure how easily available they’ll be in US hardware stores, being a metric size, but most bike shops will have a bucket full of them.

The D025 part is called the derailleur hanger. Not part of the derailleur itself, but the bracket that holds it to the frame. There are dozens of slightly different shapes and sizes. That number will be really handy should the original ever become bent or broken and need replacement.

OP
OP
H

hugo.m76

The bolt you ordered was for BR5700, which makes it a brake cable anchor bolt. That’s an M6 bolt, so yes, it’ll be one size (one millimetre) too big.

Something like this is probably exactly the right part:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105-RD-5800-Rear-Derailleur-Cable-Fixing-Bolt-Plate-RD-6800-usable/222613764442

However, as Flying Dodo says, just about any M5 bolt, about 8mm long, with a washer, will do the job. I’m not sure how easily available they’ll be in US hardware stores, being a metric size, but most bike shops will have a bucket full of them.

The D025 part is called the derailleur hanger. Not part of the derailleur itself, but the bracket that holds it to the frame. There are dozens of slightly different shapes and sizes. That number will be really handy should the original ever become bent or broken and need replacement.

that explains everything. thank you so much.

Top Bottom