Looking for travel advice -London Heathrow to Russell Square with a family

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Looking for fellow cyclechatters travel advice.....

I'll be coming from London Heathrow to Russell Square -with the wife, 3 kids and baggage each. What's the best way to do this? As we have 5 people, I'm thinking a taxi might not be the worst idea? Anyone got an idea how much that would be? Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd check the Heathrow site first, given recent events. They'll have any changes made.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Get on the Tube. The Piccadilly Line will take you direct from Heathrow (any Terminal) to Russell Square tube station. Journey is just shy of an hour and will cot you about £5 for each adult, kids go free.
Black cab into London will cost more than £50, minimum.
You could do Heathrow Express to Paddington then tube from there. HEx is very nice, and if you book far enough in advance not too expensive (kids go free). But with baggage I guess less stops is better, so for me it would be the tube. I do that exact route a few times a year for hospital visits, always seats on the tube getting on at the airport.

Get on the Tube. The Piccadilly Line will take you direct from Heathrow (any Terminal) to Russell Square tube station. Journey is just shy of an hour and will cot you about £5 for each adult, kids go free.
You could do Heathrow Express to Paddington then tube from there. HEx is very nice, and if you book far enough in advance not too expensive (kids go free). But with baggage I guess less stops is better, so for me it would be the tube. I do that exact route a few times a year for hospital visits, always seats on the tube getting on at the airport.
This. It's direct on the tube. Piccadilly line all the way. You're pretty much guaranteed a seat and it won't take much longer than a taxi. Driving or being driven in London isn't much fun. It's stop start the whole way.

Heathrow express is rubbish unless you want to go to north west London. It's an expensive fast train that takes you miles from anywhere. Piccadilly drops you smack in the centre.

subaqua

What’s the point
HEx takes you into Paddington which means changing into tube then again at Kings X for the Piccadilly .

Great if you want Hyde park end of London . Poor for anything else

Get the tube straight from Heathrow to Russell Square.

It will be quicker than taxi

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
How old are the kids. Can the kids pull their own luggage?
I wouldn't want to go on the tube with very young kids and 5 large bags. The logistics of getting down the escalator and on & off the tube will be difficult.

How old are the kids. Can the kids pull their own luggage?
I wouldn't want to go on the tube with very young kids and 5 large bags. The logistics of getting down the escalator and on & off the tube will be difficult.
Russell Square has a lift so is pretty easy though there are a few steps to get to them from the platform.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
On the Heathrow info site it says Taxi to central London is £45-70. Journey time about one hour so about the same as the Tube. Some taxi drivers might take you on the 'scenic route' so might be more.
The only issue is the luggage, if you can manage that take the cheaper option. The difference will buy you a nice meal when you arrive.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Journey time about one hour

20 million people who live in and around London smile.

Depending on the time of day and whether there's been a holdup it could be an hour from Kensington to Russell Square.

I once rode from the City to the West End to have lunch. My colleagues, who left at the same time as me in a cab, arrived 40 minutes later, having walked the last half mile.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
20 million people who live in and around London smile.

Depending on the time of day and whether there's been a holdup it could be an hour from Kensington to Russell Square.

I once rode from the City to the West End to have lunch. My colleagues, who left at the same time as me in a cab, arrived 40 minutes later, having walked the last half mile.

I often have Asian clients in London and they insist on taking taxis everywhere. It drives me bananas. It's all driven by their perception that public transport is for poor people

We are invariably late for every meeting

Reactions: mjr

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
50 quid! Phew!

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well thanks for all the responses. My kids are young teenagers aged between 13-16, so are capable of carrying a small suitcase each (plus they will be on rollers). I think I will be taking the Piccadilly Line based on the feedback. We'll be in London for 4 days, so now I'm just trying to work out the best value for the tube with the Oyster card stuff from their website.

If anyone ever travels to Boston, please let me know and I'd be happy to help out with advice.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well thanks for all the responses. My kids are young teenagers aged between 13-16, so are capable of carrying a small suitcase each (plus they will be on rollers). I think I will be taking the Piccadilly Line based on the feedback. We'll be in London for 4 days, so now I'm just trying to work out the best value for the tube with the Oyster card stuff from their website.

If anyone ever travels to Boston, please let me know and I'd be happy to help out with advice.
Take books. It's a boring ride.

Reactions: mjr

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Bear in mind that all contactless DR/CR cards work on the Underground and have the same pricing structure as an Oyster Card.

I never bother with an Oyster card these days

Top Bottom