looking for work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
You're permitted a certain amount of time off per year for medical appointments.

I'd steer clear of recruitment agencies. After all, if they knew so much about finding jobs none of them would be working there in the first place.

+1 on this. If an agency finds an employee for a company the company often have to pay them a fee which can make you more expensive.

Slightly different, but for example, if I decided to properly employ an agency teacher, I have to pay a £6000 fee in some cases

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'd steer clear of recruitment agencies. After all, if they knew so much about finding jobs none of them would be working there in the first place.

They're one small step up the ladder from ambulance chasers. Avoid them like the proverbial.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
On the basis that plenty of other applicants have probably experienced the same problem, and also decided lying is the only way around it, I wouldn't lose any sleep over levelling the playing field by lying yourself. If they ask questions later on, just say you'd been waiting for the appointment(s) for a long time and have only recently been notified. If there's any more questions beyond that, tell them you're entitled to some privacy with respect to your medical treatment.

Apologies if there's anyone reading this who works for one, but many recruitment agancies are a pain in the proverbial. They're not all bad, but I'd put most of them in the same circle of hell as estate agents.

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
No I am not a gardener by trade it is just my name. I don't like the notion that people with medical conditions and hospital appointments have to lie to potential employers to get a job and I feel uncomfortable doing so. It is hard enough getting a job without it being made even harder.

ASC1951

Guru
You're permitted a certain amount of time off per year for medical appointments.
Are you? I don't think there is any such right. You are entitled to time off for all sorts of things - see http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1370 - but appointments for your own medical treatment is not one of them. Your employer can insist you take them as holiday, although not many employers would.

My attitude was that anything unforeseen or an injury/illness meant time off with full pay, but for e.g. regular dental appointments I would expect them to make the time up.

Top Bottom