Looking over your left shoulder & signalling Right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
At the same time?
I tried it today on approach to a filter traffic light juntion on the A4. I had to look left to see if anyone was using the left turn only lane to undertake me in an attempt to go straight ahead. I had to change lanes to the ahead-only lane on my right side once clear, while looking over my left shoulder often to make sure I was not under cut and left on the outside lane once passed the juntion.

It was not easy as I was doing about 25 mph.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it’s a useful skill. maybe practice on some quiet roads.

if there are mobility issues, a mirror will do the job of the shoulder check.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can't see out my right eye so i often use a left shoulder check. Though i don't see things directly,it's more of a peripheral vision thing. Sound is very important to me. On a windy day i have to be extra careful because as we know,the wind can block out the sound of approaching traffic.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I know the A4 goes for miles, whereabouts on the A4 was this if you don't mind me asking.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I use the Zefal Spin on my drops, very useful.
http://www.zefal.com/en/mirrors/109-spin.html
I have a mirror on my downtube. Well when i say i have i mean it's fastened to the downtube of a bike i haven't used since Nov' 2016. I really should take it off and fix it to one of the two bikes i use,but which one? The mirror is fastened on with cable ties which means you'd have to cut them off and use new ones to swap the mirror from one bike to another. I know i could buy another mirror,but why don't they make them with a velcro fastening so you can take them off easily and swap the mirror around.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If only cable ties weren't so bloody expensive huh?
It's not the expense,more the hassle of cutting them off. They have to be pulled as tight as possible and tend to hold better with rubber underneath them. To take/cut them off i have to get my scissors under them then turn the blade upwards to either cut or snap the cable ties. Even with the rubber underneath them you/ i can sometimes scratch the paintwork on the downtube,which is something i'd rather avoid.

GaGa

At the same time?
I tried it today on approach to a filter traffic light juntion on the A4. I had to look left to see if anyone was using the left turn only lane to undertake me in an attempt to go straight ahead. I had to change lanes to the ahead-only lane on my right side once clear, while looking over my left shoulder often to make sure I was not under cut and left on the outside lane once passed the juntion.

It was not easy as I was doing about 25 mph.
We have an offside mirror on all our bikes. As a retired H.G.V. driver I'm well used to using mirrors but was the wife's idea to fit mirrors. They were £ 4 each from " Decathlon" and they are excellent .

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
But still too much hassle for lazy me:tired:. I want a mirror with velcro and i won't be happy till i find one!!:ninja:

Have you tried a wrist worn MyKlops Rear View Mirror ?

I have one that I use when going off road - for when I cycle on road to and from the trails

The strap on mine is a bit of a faff, but I understand they have improved the design

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I want a mirror with velcro and i won't be happy till i find one!

Would a rubber strap do?

Zefal do this mirror which can fit just about anywhere on your bike, including the downtube, and is easily removed. Currently with 47% off at £6.12.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zefal-95293-Double-Adjustment-Mirror/dp/B000FY05PG/

zefal.jpg

Top Bottom