Looking to buy a new road bike in the £500-600 range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dude7691

Hello again everyone :smile:

Just looking into new road bikes, as I'm currently rocking a Carrera Sulcuta mountain bike for my daily commute of 32 miles and it's taking a hell of a toll on me physically as it weighs 14.3kg and naturally being a mountain bike with knobblies and all the other disadvantages of MTB's for road riding it's a really tough commute which I can manage but I'm looking to upgrade anyhow :smile: It has 24 gears which is great, and I noticed that a lot of road bikes actually have less than this? Are they geared in a certain way that makes hills a little easier? Was looking at this bike (linked below) and it looks great to my eyes weighing in at just 9.6kg. Just looking for a bit more expertise on this. Will 16 gears make hills an absolute nightmare compared to my MTB? Thank you :smile:

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/1...H4eiC99he3QsESfBXyClFYJLXgn5S78gaAixWEALw_wcB

OP
OP
D

dude7691

*Correction: Just need someone to check the ratios basically I don't mind having less gears if the lowest ones are a decent ratio for going up 20-30% inclines :smile:

OP
OP
D

dude7691

And one other question (sorry to keep missing things out). Will a road bike be worse for my backside as opposed to a MTB? Don't particularly fancy having to get creams and stuff and I don't suffer from any problems on my MTB, just wondering if anyone else noticed any change when transitioning from MTB to road bikes?

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you considered a previous years model, get more bang for buck (Specialized specs tend to be fairly poor vfm compared to other makes too)

The ratios are suitable for hills

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
OP
OP
D

dude7691

If you want a triple and great value then you won't do any better than the Triban 520:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-road-bike-sora-id_8377757.html
Lifetime frame warranty and the reassurance of buying from the largest cycle retailer worldwide.
Or you could go for the 500 which has discs, better for all weather commuting.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-...peco=opeco:NewHP-Carousel-Product1&type=opeco
Better groupset than the Allez and cheaper and nine instead of eight speed.

That top one looks absolutely great. The sora is better than the chainset on the Specialized from what I can see whilst being the same weight. For £100 less, looks like a steal. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it :smile: Are the gear ratios on this also good for hills? (my commute has lots of them haha)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dude7691

Have you considered a previous years model, get more bang for buck (Specialized specs tend to be fairly poor vfm compared to other makes too)

The ratios are suitable for hills
I did have a look but all pre 2019 models seemed to be out of stock :/ After looking at the Triban 520 that was sent on here by Cycleops I think that's probably the best actually I can see so far :smile: Thank you very much for your help too greatly appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
I did have a look but all pre 2019 models seemed to be out of stock :/ After looking at the Triban 520 that was sent on here by Cycleops I think that's probably the best actually I can see so far :smile: Thank you very much for your help too greatly appreciated.
There are plenty of 2018 bikes out there still, depends where you are and if ok with a web purchase? What size do you need as the larger Tribans are out of stock

OP
OP
D

dude7691

There are plenty of 2018 bikes out there still, depends where you are and if ok with a web purchase? What size do you need as the larger Tribans are out of stock
I'm 172cm so the small frame would suit me perfectly and I think that's in stock. Also this is currently being approved by mods just checking does a road bike impact your backside more than a mountain bike? That's my only reservation about upgrading at the minute. Also are the gear ratios on that Triban 520 okay for hills do you reckon? I'm fine with web purchases provided they do delivery as there aren't many big bike stores around West Wales haha

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Correctly set up bike, the right saddle and padded shorts...you’ll still get a sore arse in the beginning though

If buying online, you have more choice
Eg same gearing as the Allez but the next groupset up the tree
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p9295/GIANT-CONTEND-1-2018

I get you yeah, that one looks pretty decent too although it's a little heavier. I mean I tend to just wear tighter fitting jogging bottoms as opposed to shorts when riding to be honest it's more of a relaxed thing for me although I still want to go relatively quick. Comparing the two would you say road bikes are less comfortable in that aspect?

vickster

Legendary Member
A roadbike will be quicker on roads but even with say 28mm tyres, it’s going to be less comfortable, ie more jarring on rough surfaces (ie most U.K. roads)

You could get more speed from your MTB with the fork locked and slicker thinner tyres...for a lot less money

You need to go try a few roadbikes out really if you’ve never ridden one

You could wear padded shorts under your joggers if you prefer (with no underwear)

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t forget for a commute of that length, you’ll want a bike that will take proper mudguards, rack and panniers to avoid needing a backpack. Disc brakes would be good too. All of which add weight. Indeed a ‘gravel’ bike would probably be better than an out and out roadbike

Top Bottom