Looking to buy a new road bike in the £500-600 range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dude7691

Don’t forget for a commute of that length, you’ll want a bike that will take proper mudguards, rack and panniers to avoid needing a backpack. Disc brakes would be good too. All of which add weight. Indeed a ‘gravel’ bike would probably be better than an out and out roadbike
Thank you again for all the advice, the shorts under the joggers is a great idea as well.
Just to give a bit of perspective, these are my current tyres that I'm dealing with :biggrin: I should gain a bit of extra performance to switching over to semi slicks don't you think?

Attachments

• 54228900_517291815462038_6631573072895803392_n.jpg
    54228900_517291815462038_6631573072895803392_n.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 54228900_517291815462038_6631573072895803392_n.jpg
    54228900_517291815462038_6631573072895803392_n.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 15

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You could try the tyre change and it will make a difference but you'll still be pushing 14kg of bike around. Don't expect miracles !

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Yes, be lighter too as well as less draggy!
Definitely, worth a try for 10% of the cost of a new bike and worst case I still end up with a mountain bike with road tires that I can give to someone else who doesn't have to commute quite so far if the difference isn't profound enough :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Definitely, worth a try for 10% of the cost of a new bike and worst case I still end up with a mountain bike with road tires that I can give to someone else who doesn't have to commute quite so far if the difference isn't profound enough :smile:
Or you can keep the MTB for off road fun or bad weather

OP
OP
D

dude7691

You could try the tyre change and it will make a difference but you'll still be pushing 14kg of bike around. Don't expect miracles !
Well might looking closer to 13.5kg once I get a set of road tires on it but yeah your point still stands :biggrin: It's a heavy bike but at least that means if I choose to upgrade I'll appreciate a light bike more than if I'd never owned a heavy bike :smile:

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Or you can keep the MTB for off road fun or bad weather
Very true, although semi slicks should still be alright for rain surely? I can imagine slicks in those conditions would be like cycling on ice though haha

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My prediction is changing the tyres will give you the most benefit.

There will be further benefit if you later get a roadie bike, but it won't be as much.

Don't get too hung up on tread.

A bicycle cannot aquaplane, so a slick tyre in the wet grips marginally better than a treaded one because there's more tyre in contact with the road.

Shallow tread is handy for gravel/loose surfaces, and there is some indication a treaded tyre 'interlocks' with dry asphalt.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

My prediction is changing the tyres will give you the most benefit.

There will be further benefit if you later get a roadie bike, but it won't be as much.

Don't get too hung up on tread.

A bicycle cannot aquaplane, so a slick tyre in the wet grips marginally better than a treaded one because there's more tyre in contact with the road.

Shallow tread is handy for gravel/loose surfaces, and there is some indication a treaded tyre 'interlocks' with dry asphalt.
I understand yeah, I'm mostly just looking to take 5-10% off of the load on my legs to just take the sting out of the huge hills rather than increase my speed massively. Brilliant thank you for that info, I'll be looking at slick tires then if they don't affect wet weather performance and it makes a lot of sense how you described this. I'll keep updated on how the new tires improve performance!! :smile: Thanks again :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I understand yeah, I'm mostly just looking to take 5-10% off of the load on my legs to just take the sting out of the huge hills rather than increase my speed massively. Brilliant thank you for that info, I'll be looking at slick tires then if they don't affect wet weather performance and it makes a lot of sense how you described this. I'll keep updated on how the new tires improve performance!! :smile: Thanks again :smile:
How do you carry your stuff? Not having it on your back could help a lot if you use a backpack

OP
OP
D

dude7691

How do you carry your stuff? Not having it on your back could help a lot if you use a backpack
Generally on my back yeah, using a backpack as you said. Is there a way to attach it to the bike that's safe? I carry a pretty big rucksack with maybe 3kg worth of stuff in it as well as my 14kg bike, it's no wonder I have trouble from time to time up the hills :biggrin:

vickster

Legendary Member
Generally on my back yeah, using a backpack as you said. Is there a way to attach it to the bike that's safe? I carry a pretty big rucksack with maybe 3kg worth of stuff in it as well as my 14kg bike, it's no wonder I have trouble from time to time up the hills :biggrin:
Pannier rack? Something like
https://www.pedalpro.com/pedalpro-a...MIvvaQ8LT64AIVyb3tCh1mPAwDEAQYASABEgKZvPD_BwE

Clearly you’re adding more weight to the bike but at least it’s not making your back sweaty or putting strain on your neck

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Pannier rack? Something like
https://www.pedalpro.com/pedalpro-a...MIvvaQ8LT64AIVyb3tCh1mPAwDEAQYASABEgKZvPD_BwE

Clearly you’re adding more weight to the bike but at least it’s not making your back sweaty or putting strain on your neck
That looks cool, roughly how much do those weigh? (wouldn't mind carrying an extra half a kg if it meant I had a better range of body movement) Doesn't say in the spec from what I can tell. I'll see if I can lighten my bag as well.

Top Bottom