Looking to buy a new road bike in the £500-600 range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
1.3kg according to Amazon
You could use a pannier that’s lighter than a backpack with all the straps and what not

Even the lightest roadbike pannier racks are more than 500g!

OP
OP
D

dude7691

1.3kg according to Amazon
You could use a pannier that’s lighter than a backpack with all the straps and what not

Even the lightest roadbike pannier racks are more than 500g!
That's fair enough, if they're not waterproof though I can't really afford that, plus I kind of need my bag for college :biggrin: I just weighed it and it was 4.1kg, makes a lot of sense why I've been struggling now :biggrin:

si_c

Guru
My MTB weighs in at around 14kg all in with knobblies and I'm currently using it for my 2.5mi each way commute and for site to site transfers - it's great in trousers and a shirt as it's a bit more comfortable than the road bike.

My "commuting" bike is a road bike with 28mm tyres which with lights, mudguards and all the other bits and bobs comes to around 12kg, it's much much quicker to get around on and much easier for distance commuting- in my last job I commuted 13mi each way and often ended up doing around 32mi daily so not dissimilar to you.

Whilst getting slicks on your MTB will certainly make the trip much more pleasureable and easier, I can't recommend getting a bike better suited to commuting enough - something with full mudguards, panniers and so on will make you faster and keep you fresher.

FWIW, the Triban bikes come highly recommended and as far as I'm aware do let you fit racks for carrying your stuff, although I personally prefer a rucksack.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

My MTB weighs in at around 14kg all in with knobblies and I'm currently using it for my 2.5mi each way commute and for site to site transfers - it's great in trousers and a shirt as it's a bit more comfortable than the road bike.

My "commuting" bike is a road bike with 28mm tyres which with lights, mudguards and all the other bits and bobs comes to around 12kg, it's much much quicker to get around on and much easier for distance commuting- in my last job I commuted 13mi each way and often ended up doing around 32mi daily so not dissimilar to you.

Whilst getting slicks on your MTB will certainly make the trip much more pleasureable and easier, I can't recommend getting a bike better suited to commuting enough - something with full mudguards, panniers and so on will make you faster and keep you fresher.

FWIW, the Triban bikes come highly recommended and as far as I'm aware do let you fit racks for carrying your stuff, although I personally prefer a rucksack.
That's really interesting getting 2 bikes isn't a bad idea at all. I will fit the slicks and see how it goes with them and try to shed some of the weight from my bag, it's worth doing I think just to see if I can get away with spending a bit less and if needs be look into road bikes if the going is still too tough because with all my bags fully laden plus water I'm currently sitting at like 19kg which is super heavy for anybody. I got my asthma pumps sorted today at least so I won't have any more lung problems when cycling :smile: I'm sure the bike will feel better in any case when I'm actually breathing properly :biggrin:

Top Bottom