Looks like my mind is made up...finally!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Yes, I was quite proud of my calculations to, certainly convinced MrsW anyway....:smooch:
You pave an important path for us all to follow. We are in your debt!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Despite the urge to get a titanium frame for audax and long distance riding, after a road test on a Trek Domain SL5 disc last week I'm sorry to say that the ride on the Domain was unbelievably smooth and oh so comfortable and as such knocked the Ti urge into a closed corner.

So after thinking about it all over the weekend, the order goes in tomorrow for a Trek Domain SL8 disc, and while I have no prior experience with Trek bikes, it was one of those brands that I never thought I would ever own and was until fairly recently was totally omitted from my radar.

But with 32mm tyres and the ability to run proper full mudguards and a life time warranty on the frame, whats not to like?

View attachment 392597
Nice- though were it me I'd have saved £400 and got the Domane SLR 6 (higher spec frame with Ultegra).

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Nice- though were it me I'd have saved £400 and got the Domane SLR 6 (higher spec frame with Ultegra).

Yep that's a very good point and again it was an option l looked at. But then decided that in the real world how often would l alter the rear IsoSpeed?
Okay maybe for the first weeks l would mess with it but then lm sure the novelty would where off and it would remain in a sweet spot position.
Then there is the issue with crap and road grime getting in the slider mechanism?
Plus all my other bikes have Ultegra and l wanted a 'special' bike hence the final call on the SL8.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Looks a nice bike.
How does it compare to the whyte wessex which is half the price ?

The Whyte Wessex is indeed great a bike albeit a bit on the heavy side for a carbon framed bike, but nevertheless its very good value for money. However, I was looking for something that was super comfy and more compliant for longer distances. As much as I love my custom built 853 Rourkie bike and as good as the paint finish is, its not very durable finish.
Hence my thoughts on the a Ti frame, best of both worlds I thought.
But then I was introduced to the Trek and more importantly the concept of the IsoSpeed and the rest is history as they say

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep that's a very good point and again it was an option l looked at. But then decided that in the real world how often would l alter the rear IsoSpeed?
Okay maybe for the first weeks l would mess with it but then lm sure the novelty would where off and it would remain in a sweet spot position.
Then there is the issue with crap and road grime getting in the slider mechanism?

@Trickedem
Have you had any problems with crap and road grime with your bike?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Only the SLR models have the adjustable IsoSpeed. I've not seen complaints about any IsoSpeed-equipped model being affected by crud in the mechanism- not to say it doesn't happen, but there are a lot of Domanes, Boones and Madones with IS out there now.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
To be fair I have no knowledge if they do or don't suffer with such problems and it wasn't something that I had thought about until the LBS that mentioned it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I had a Domane ALR 5 Disc (not as posh as the bike featured in this thread) but it had rear Isospeed. It creaked after a few miles. LBS tried to fix it and couldn't. Ordered second bike and after a few rides that creaked too. LBS couldn't fix that either despite pulling it apart and coating the components with silicone (I think) grease. Gave up on Treks.

On the other hand I have a friend with an SL6 Disc and that is as silent as a grave.

Good looking bike btw.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Despite the urge to get a titanium frame for audax and long distance riding, after a road test on a Trek Domain SL5 disc last week I'm sorry to say that the ride on the Domain was unbelievably smooth and oh so comfortable and as such knocked the Ti urge into a closed corner.

So after thinking about it all over the weekend, the order goes in tomorrow for a Trek Domain SL8 disc, and while I have no prior experience with Trek bikes, it was one of those brands that I never thought I would ever own and was until fairly recently was totally omitted from my radar.

But with 32mm tyres and the ability to run proper full mudguards and a life time warranty on the frame, whats not to like?

View attachment 392597
Nice! :thumbsup: I looked at a Trek Checkpoint SL6 at a local shop yesterday, and was happy with what I saw, although I have yet to decide what bike to buy.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
@AlanW Thread Resurrection.

Did you buy the bike in the end? If so, how are you getting on with it?
Yes, and 5k miles later still loving it to be honest.
But in truth lm not sure that the isospeed makes a blind bit of difference?
20190412_095720.jpg

Top Bottom