Looks like the blower's gone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
It's a 1.6.

Actually I tend to park up, by backing into the driveway off the road as you're meant to but nobody does, then the engine is kind of left on until I've double checked handbrake, gears on neutral, look around to make sure I'm not to far over either way on the shared driveway, etc. It's probably close to 10 seconds anyway. Didn't know that's the advice though.

Vauxhall vivaro van engines no good? What van that size is good? Trafic is the same, the Mercedes have a rust issue, citreon are smaller, Nissan of some ages are same but newer are different iirc. The scene tax VW is too small, seriously the van tapers in from windows such that if my partner drives me and my son don't fit in the double passenger seats even when he was 6 or 7 when we were looking for a van to convert.

Ford I guess? Mind you knowing the way they built the engines for their pickups and other vehicles sharing that entire, not sure I'd trust Ford engines. Something about cutting costs with a cheap and nasty oil pump that fails causing the engine to fall and need replacement. A known issue that was a recall in countries with better laws for that I believe but in the UK they sell you a new engine with the same weak oil pump ti fail again. A mate got an engine quote 5k from Ford, they found one for 2.5k then offloaded it for a Isuzu pickup. They're farmers so needed it.

I suppose all van brands have issues like cars too. So far this van has been quite cheap to run for what it is. Nothing major being needed until now. Much better than the last car we had when we got this. A seat altea xl was a bit unreliable two alternators, plus various other issues. Oh and the crappy design where the climate control failed because of a £2 switch, well one of two £2 switches. One located behind the dashboard only reached by spending a day taking it all out, fit the switch then another day back in. Or you take the bumper off and various other bits taking day too. Of course you can't know which switch has failed so you could spend a day to find its the other one! All billable labour. Needless to say we didn't fix the climate control!

My best, most reliable car was a humble vauxhall astra.

Our van is a 16 plate vauxhall vivaro 2700 sportive 115bhp. The base model for a 2700 sportive without bi turbo. I believe the bi turbo system is kind of complicated design.

Agreed difficult decision on the smaller van market. Early ford custom would be my choice 2.2 chain rather than the dodgy 2.0 wet belt. Rust is usually an issue but I think the custom / mk 8 seems to be fairing better?

T5/6 obvs is the benchmark loved or hated!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Are you sure about that? I understood it was
a supercharger for an (obviously!) extremely big marine dies

Yes. I’ve worked with many ships’ engines - all the very big ones are turbocharged. That’s a compressor but not for an engine.

Tom B

Guru
I've got through some turbos in my time.

They're usually reliable but outside factors damage them. I lost one due to oil supply issues due to a poorly designed oil pipe on the ford 1.6tdci, the second died after the impellor was hit by a small chuck that fell off the Variable vane chipping the impellor and destroying the balance.

I found it cheaper to rebuild using a core kit - but of course you need to find and understand the reason for failure.

As others have said letting the engine idle for a few seconds before stopping it and when starting it is advised. ~

I've seen people start vans at work by planting their foot on the floor and turning the key - my toes curl.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Agreed difficult decision on the smaller van market. Early ford custom would be my choice 2.2 chain rather than the dodgy 2.0 wet belt. Rust is usually an issue but I think the custom / mk 8 seems to be fairing better?

T5/6 obvs is the benchmark loved or hated!

It is for campers but why? They're kind of small for their footprint. That taper in at the windows level. The drivers seat is nice and I get plenty of room there. However as soon as I have to be a passenger the taper really is noticeable l perhaps the bench seat is too far over or it is a simple as the taper in.

I never really thought the feel of the drive was significant. It had a higher power than my vivaro but it didn't make that much difference on our test drives. I tried a biturbo vivaro and thought that was better than the t5s in test drove when van hunting.

I can only think badge and image meant it's got its rep and scene tax. It's just too small and overpriced imho.

Jameshow

Veteran
It is for campers but why? They're kind of small for their footprint. That taper in at the windows level. The drivers seat is nice and I get plenty of room there. However as soon as I have to be a passenger the taper really is noticeable l perhaps the bench seat is too far over or it is a simple as the taper in.

I never really thought the feel of the drive was significant. It had a higher power than my vivaro but it didn't make that much difference on our test drives. I tried a biturbo vivaro and thought that was better than the t5s in test drove when van hunting.

I can only think badge and image meant it's got its rep and scene tax. It's just too small and overpriced imho.

Snob value? Built quality, history?

The VW t5.1 I had was better than my mk8 transit I drive now. Not driven a custom but as it's smaller it might feel less tinny.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yes. I’ve worked with many ships’ engines - all the very big ones are turbocharged. That’s a compressor but not for an engine.

I stand corrected
Apparently wrongly described where I found the pic. Someone said it was a compressor for gases in a chemical works or some such

Jody

Stubborn git
I stand corrected
Apparently wrongly described where I found the pic. Someone said it was a compressor for gases in a chemical works or some such

A super charger and this industrial compressor are the same as each other.

Both twin screw gas compressors

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Snob value? Built quality, history?

The VW t5.1 I had was better than my mk8 transit I drive now. Not driven a custom but as it's smaller it might feel less tinny.

Snob value I reckon. Ime of vw group vehicles (cars) they're not as good as their reputation.

A company I used to work for supplied ultimately into a lot of European brands. A few of the senior managers had the experience of visiting quite a few assembly lines for different brands and models. The one thing they all said was that one brand's factory stood out as something special compared to the rest. A certain Japanese company, only the one company from Japan as all the others weren't as impressive. Unfortunately I never got to see any of them, just a certain Norfolk based sportscar brand and even then I only got to see a prototype proton brand car being tested with shape hiding bits on it.

I found there was something off with the Fords we tested. Ruled them out early on. Perhaps because we only had the money for basic transits not the customs. The VWs we tried were older than the vivaros we could afford. You'd get the lift up boot on the vw but not much else suited. The were a good few years older than the vivaros at the same price and that was also with a big mileage on. 3 or so years older and over double the mileage. We got an immaculate just run in vivaro 3 years old and 36000, mileage. 8 years old now and only 91k with only tyres, brake discs/pads and battery replaced until this issue. I think that's not too bad.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Had a similar thing with my ex wife's Nissan Qashqai 1.5 DCI, that I tried to fix. It had split an intercooler plastic hose, a known weekness and had no power at all. Replaced that with a pattern part off ebay (tenner v's Nissan £95), but still the same. Was going to remove the DPF as read that they are well known for this getting blocked, along with numerous other issues. The thing is an absolute pig to work on with terrible access, so gave in.

Took it to a decent mechanic, whom first said that the turbo had failed and be looking at 1K all in. Can understand this as it is in a terrible place to get access to, beween firewall and back of engine. He said he'd take the DPF off first to make sure it wasn't blocked. That was the issue with it, and bill less than half. Awful engine to work on from a DIY perspective.

Top Bottom