Loophole to be closed on phone use at the wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
People can`t be trusted in not using their phones whilst in control of a motor vehicle. I say shut the phone in the boot if it is only the driver of the vehicle as it seems they are the worst offenders. Only allow a phone for passengers but even then it is a distraction. The Aussies don`t allow alcohol inside a vehicle it has to be in the boot. I`am sure people will shoot me down on this one.
My work phone now won't accept calls if it senses I'm moving, even if I'm on a train. It will take the message and not notify me of the message or missed call until I'm stationary for some time. Probably more about their risk assessment than actually solving an issue, but still a bit of a clue as to where they're going.

tom73

Guru
They aren't getting off anything. They aren't committing an offence.
Not under the current law no but equally they can still be charged with driving without due care and attention.
Provided the boys in blue use the law we already have.

tom73

Guru
And yet there seems to be no plan to ban the walkie talkie type of comms devices (cf Top Gear car to car communication). Is that because the police use them, I wonder?
Again already covered if it can be shown such use was unsafe then driving without due care and attention can be used.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Of course, most new cars now come with a touchscreen in the middle of the dashboard that your mobile will connect to via Android Auto, Apple Car Play, or whatever.
So you can faff about with all the features your phone to your heart's content without taking it out of your pocket.

Just as distracting, possibly more distracting, but seemingly not covered by this change of law?

D

Deleted member 26715

I have to admit I didn't know it wasn't illegal to film using your phone whilst driving.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes. Why not?
I'm not arguing I'm just asking, but where do you stop, I've always thought smoking in a car should be banned, I also lost a friend back in 1976 at the inquest it was reported she hit the car coming the way because it appeared she wasn't looking at the road but down at the dashboard it is thought she may have been adjusting the radio but we will never know. But do you stop a driver eating, drinking, how about children? They can be a very big distraction, I've seen drivers looking over their shoulders whilst still driving forward.

Slick

Guru
Yes. Why not? Anything that distracts from the main task is bad.
I know eating and drinking are classed as the same level of distraction as using the phone as is using hands free and if you have an accident whilst doing any of them you should be charged with dangerous driving.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
All of you that have to look down at the dashboard instead of having speed, revs and so on projected onto the windscreen should be charged with careless driving! ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
Eating and drinking are not offences. The offence only occurs when the driver is demonstrably not in proper control. The mere act of simply lifting a kit kat finger to your lips while driving is not an offence in any way, but if the driver is looking at their lap for 10 seconds at a time while they prepare a fondue, or weaving all over the place while the wrestle with a recalcitrant Doritos packet then we do have an offence.

The camera technology does exist to catch people at it with phones and has been well tried and is reliable and mature. It is user to good effect in Australia, but can't be used here because that would be seen as a somehow unfair to the oppressed motorist.

Last edited:

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I'm not arguing I'm just asking, but where do you stop, I've always thought smoking in a car should be banned, I also lost a friend back in 1976 at the inquest it was reported she hit the car coming the way because it appeared she wasn't looking at the road but down at the dashboard it is thought she may have been adjusting the radio but we will never know. But do you stop a driver eating, drinking, how about children? They can be a very big distraction, I've seen drivers looking over their shoulders whilst still driving forward.
I remember a head on accident in the late 70`s just outside my house. The driver at fault had his head down playing with the radio, the radios in those days was a bit of an after thought and often mounted on the transmission tunnel or just above, which was the case here. It only took a few seconds averting the eyes from the road, drifting to the centre and a 90 degree bend approaching. The only saving grace here was that neither car was driving particularly fast so no major injuries, just a distraught couple who were the victims. Had it been today in the cocooned vehicles at speed it would have been worse.

D

Deleted member 26715

Something that I do every time that I change lanes on a motorway. Like many vehicles, mine has a blind spot not covered by the mirrors.
Nice snip, as a motorcyclist it's my natural way of doing it, however that has rock all to do with children in the back seats.

classic33

Leg End Member
All of you that have to look down at the dashboard instead of having speed, revs and so on projected onto the windscreen should be charged with careless driving! ;)
What would that stop you seeing though?

Last edited:
Top Bottom