Loophole to be closed on phone use at the wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
FFS why didn't authorities sort this out when the fine went up ?

tom73

Guru
By the sounds of it this won't be coming till at the earliest spring next year.
How many more will get off till then I wonder?

People can`t be trusted in not using their phones whilst in control of a motor vehicle. I say shut the phone in the boot if it is only the driver of the vehicle as it seems they are the worst offenders. Only allow a phone for passengers but even then it is a distraction. The Aussies don`t allow alcohol inside a vehicle it has to be in the boot. I`am sure people will shoot me down on this one.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
People can`t be trusted in not using their phones whilst in control of a motor vehicle. I say shut the phone in the boot if it is only the driver of the vehicle as it seems they are the worst offenders. Only allow a phone for passengers but even then it is a distraction. The Aussies don`t allow alcohol inside a vehicle it has to be in the boot. I`am sure people will shoot me down on this one.
If you add glove box, I'm ok with it. I seriously don't want to be opening the boot if I break down on the side of a main road - I just want to be getting clear of the car before it gets hit and calling rescue from a safe location.

Also, idiots will just connect bluetooth controllers to it, even in the boot. I'd expect to see bluetooth slave screen displays on sale within days if they're not also outlawed.

If you add glove box, I'm ok with it. I seriously don't want to be opening the boot if I break down on the side of a main road - I just want to be getting clear of the car before it gets hit and calling rescue from a safe location.

Also, idiots will just connect bluetooth controllers to it, even in the boot. I'd expect to see bluetooth slave screen displays on sale within days if they're not also outlawed.
Actually I was going to put glove box, you are right. It just needs to be easier to police so that there is no or little doubt. Just think though. Remember the days before mobile phones ? Life was a lot simpler then. Although like most devices that are supposed to may like easier but in fact actually make it worse. Just too many distractions whilst driving or cycling as I have seen cyclists ( people on bikes then) no hands on bars but operating their phones, now they are clever because I can`t do that !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Actually I was going to put glove box, you are right. It just needs to be easier to police so that there is no or little doubt. Just think though. Remember the days before mobile phones ?
Not really :smile: How old are you? ;)

One difference is that before mobiles were everywhere, there were more breakdown phones and pay phones along main roads.

Life was a lot simpler then. Although like most devices that are supposed to may like easier but in fact actually make it worse. Just too many distractions whilst driving or cycling as I have seen cyclists ( people on bikes then) no hands on bars but operating their phones, now they are clever because I can`t do that !
Shouldn't ban things just because you're jealous. Phoney cyclists are mainly a danger to themselves. Phoney drivers are a danger to everyone.

Drago

Legendary Member
By law all,mobile phones should be fitted with semtex which detonates when a driver fiddles with it while driving. Not a large charge, just enough to blow a hand off and leave them with a reminder.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I never make phone calls whilst driving and whilst I previously had a proper car kit found making calls very distracting so haven't bothered getting one subsequently - yet I find the GPS map thing, especially the spoken directions version very helpful - is this to be banned too?

Ah well, back to map draped over the passenger seat I suppose

classic33

Leg End Member
Not really :smile: How old are you? ;)

One difference is that before mobiles were everywhere, there were more breakdown phones and pay phones along main roads.

Shouldn't ban things just because you're jealous. Phoney cyclists are mainly a danger to themselves. Phoney drivers are a danger to everyone.
Anyone who uses a mobile, whilst in motion in or on a road vehicle is a danger to other road users, and themselves.

Reason, their attention isn't fully on the road in front of them. We, cyclists are no less prone to distraction than any other road user. From pedestrians upto articulated lorry drivers. You are "in charge" but not concentrating on keeping your vehicle.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Anyone who uses a mobile, whilst in motion in or on a road vehicle is a danger to other road users, and themselves.

Reason, their attention isn't fully on the road in front of them. We, cyclists are no less prone to distraction than any other road user. From pedestrians upto articulated lorry drivers. You are "in charge" but not concentrating on keeping your vehicle.
And yet there seems to be no plan to ban the walkie talkie type of comms devices (cf Top Gear car to car communication). Is that because the police use them, I wonder?

classic33

Leg End Member
And yet there seems to be no plan to ban the walkie talkie type of comms devices (cf Top Gear car to car communication). Is that because the police use them, I wonder?
As do Paramedics in/on single crewed vehicles. Fire & Rescue, again in single crewed vehicles.

Multiple crewed vehicles tend to have a second person assigned to the radio, but not always. Ambulances on "Blue and Twos" with a person in the back springs to mind.

Top Bottom