Loopybike quick £100 Carlton build

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by loopybike, 21 Feb 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    loopybike

loopybike Über Member

Meanwhile I'd cleaned up all the removed parts in, erm, the dishwasher. Now I've been caught by the Mrs before using the dishwasher and I didn't want to be caught again!
    Just as the cycle finished ( max temp mode) I heard her car pull up on the drive. I've never been able to juggle before, but when I rushed to take out the two calliper and derallier I soon learnt! God they were hot! Lol clean though :smile:

2. OP
    OP
    loopybike

loopybike Über Member

The local bicycle shop provided some proper quality brake blocks. £7
    20180210_101222.jpg

ChrisEyles and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  3. midlife

midlife Veteran

Starting to come together :smile:. Where did the £55 wheels come from?

Illaveago likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    loopybike

loopybike Über Member

Off eBay from baldwins-cycles-ltd

27" by 1 1/4" front and rear

Alan O, raleighnut and midlife like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    loopybike

loopybike Über Member

Next on the list was new cables throughout. £11.75
    Then a new chain £4.00. I ordered a black chain but when it arrived I had been sent a black and silver one. I was so please they'd got it wrong because I really like it! Lol
    I also ordered some cheap black pedels. I can't ride with toe clips and cleats just scare me so I went for flat ones. I think they're BMX ones. £7.00 I know they're wrong but I like them :smile:

So now I'm at .....er.....oh I've gone over the £100! Ah well it's only money!

6. OP
    OP
    loopybike

loopybike Über Member

Let's talk about those handle bars. Obviously it would originally had dropped bars. One of the reasons I chose this bike was because it didn't have them! I really hate dropped bars. I want to be looking around me, where I'm going, over hedges, etc. Not staring at the floor straining my neck to see ahead. I don't cycle for speed ( I drive a volvo estate for God's sake! Lol ). So the bars are staying :smile:
    I even love the fact that the original brake levers are being used! They kind of flow with the bars!
    So wrong but so right ( for me!) 20180215_120941.jpg

7. OP
    OP
    loopybike

loopybike Über Member

So there we have it. A perfectly presentable, if not original, bicycle. 20180215_084520.jpg

Not particularly unique though is it?

And I like unique! ........

8. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

just up the road from me baldwins, cheap too

9. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I dunno those handlebars at that angle look pretty 'unique' to me (or mid 70s at least)

Illaveago and loopybike like this.
  10. wonderdog

wonderdog Well-Known Member

Wooden mind a ferret around in yr shed ... by refurbing the bike are you avoiding finishing off the TR? And what's the alloy body with the Minilite-looking wheels. This may be an entry for the "Show us your shed" thread.

Illaveago, woodbutcher and loopybike like this.
  11. wonderdog

wonderdog Well-Known Member

I reckon you've come up with a pretty good looking piece of kit. Too nice for a pub bike

loopybike likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    loopybike

loopybike Über Member

My day job is building and repairing aluminium bodies for vintage cars. The TR restoration is a favour for a terminally ill friend. The aluminium car in the background is a Cooper Bobtail, waiting for the customer to collect.

Illaveago likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    loopybike

loopybike Über Member

This bike still needs a few things.
    I live in Telford where there are lots of cycle paths. Due to the popularity of them a bell is necessary ( isobelle necessary on a bike? Lol) so I've ordered a nice big chrome Dutch "ding dong" one :smile:
    It needs lights too. I've sourced a rear, still hunting for a suitable front.

The other thing it needs is mudgaurds. Now I have been known to go over the top with them in the past.....you may remember this bike
    DSC_0458_zpsijxqbyz6.jpg

Another Carlton funnily enough .

But I fancy something a bit more subtle this time!

And no, I will not be buying them. Where's the fun in that?!

Alan O, gaijintendo, GuyBoden and 6 others like this.
  14. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

love the guards on this one

and well done re the build , you ought to get some alloy flat bars

15. OP
    OP
    loopybike

loopybike Über Member

Yeah someone made me an offer I really couldn't refuse on that one. It ended up featured in a German magazine!

raleighnut and biggs682 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice