Loopybike quick £100 Carlton build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Meanwhile I'd cleaned up all the removed parts in, erm, the dishwasher. Now I've been caught by the Mrs before using the dishwasher and I didn't want to be caught again!
Just as the cycle finished ( max temp mode) I heard her car pull up on the drive. I've never been able to juggle before, but when I rushed to take out the two calliper and derallier I soon learnt! God they were hot! Lol clean though :smile:

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
The local bicycle shop provided some proper quality brake blocks. £7
20180210_101222.jpg

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Next on the list was new cables throughout. £11.75
Then a new chain £4.00. I ordered a black chain but when it arrived I had been sent a black and silver one. I was so please they'd got it wrong because I really like it! Lol
I also ordered some cheap black pedels. I can't ride with toe clips and cleats just scare me so I went for flat ones. I think they're BMX ones. £7.00 I know they're wrong but I like them :smile:

So now I'm at .....er.....oh I've gone over the £100! Ah well it's only money!

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Let's talk about those handle bars. Obviously it would originally had dropped bars. One of the reasons I chose this bike was because it didn't have them! I really hate dropped bars. I want to be looking around me, where I'm going, over hedges, etc. Not staring at the floor straining my neck to see ahead. I don't cycle for speed ( I drive a volvo estate for God's sake! Lol ). So the bars are staying :smile:
I even love the fact that the original brake levers are being used! They kind of flow with the bars!
So wrong but so right ( for me!)
20180215_120941.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So there we have it. A perfectly presentable, if not original, bicycle. View attachment 396888

Not particularly unique though is it?

And I like unique! ........
I dunno those handlebars at that angle look pretty 'unique' to me (or mid 70s at least)

wonderdog

Not sure this is the right area to post this so admins feel free to move :smile:

I had a sudden, scary thought the other week: I don't have a road bike at the moment!

With spring round the corner I thought it was time to do something about it. Fire up eBay! ........

Now I can't justify spending loads on a bike, but I want nice quality and uniqueness. ( if you have seen my previous builds you'll know I like uniqueness!) So I set myself a £100 budget. That's for the whole build mind.

£22 later I've won (??) myself a tatty carlton. There was only 1 photo of it in the advert and that was very poor so it was a gamble. Not much of a gamble I guess but still 22% of my budget. I collected it from a very "interesting" chap ( think Steptoe and son ) in the dark so I still couldn't look at what I'd got. What I did know was the it wouldn't roll when I pushed it to my car. Not a good sign. I loaded it inside my estate car and drove the 1/2 hr home enjoying the delightful smell of, well, I can't describe it really. I believe that on that cold winters night I was the only car driving with all the windows down!

So here it is safely in the workshop.

View attachment 396804
Wooden mind a ferret around in yr shed ... by refurbing the bike are you avoiding finishing off the TR? And what's the alloy body with the Minilite-looking wheels. This may be an entry for the "Show us your shed" thread.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Wooden mind a ferret around in yr shed ... by refurbing the bike are you avoiding finishing off the TR? And what's the alloy body with the Minilite-looking wheels. This may be an entry for the "Show us your shed" thread.
My day job is building and repairing aluminium bodies for vintage cars. The TR restoration is a favour for a terminally ill friend. The aluminium car in the background is a Cooper Bobtail, waiting for the customer to collect.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
This bike still needs a few things.
I live in Telford where there are lots of cycle paths. Due to the popularity of them a bell is necessary ( isobelle necessary on a bike? Lol) so I've ordered a nice big chrome Dutch "ding dong" one :smile:
It needs lights too. I've sourced a rear, still hunting for a suitable front.

The other thing it needs is mudgaurds. Now I have been known to go over the top with them in the past.....you may remember this bike
DSC_0458_zpsijxqbyz6.jpg

Another Carlton funnily enough .

But I fancy something a bit more subtle this time!

And no, I will not be buying them. Where's the fun in that?!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This bike still needs a few things.
I live in Telford where there are lots of cycle paths. Due to the popularity of them a bell is necessary ( isobelle necessary on a bike? Lol) so I've ordered a nice big chrome Dutch "ding dong" one :smile:
It needs lights too. I've sourced a rear, still hunting for a suitable front.

The other thing it needs is mudgaurds. Now I have been known to go over the top with them in the past.....you may remember this bike
View attachment 396919

Another Carlton funnily enough .

But I fancy something a bit more subtle this time!

And no, I will not be buying them. Where's the fun in that?!

love the guards on this one

and well done re the build , you ought to get some alloy flat bars

Top Bottom