Loopybike quick £100 Carlton build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Like the set you are making for this one although i would like a longer front one
Ah got you! :smile:
I'll send you a pm

wonderdog

My day job is building and repairing aluminium bodies for vintage cars. The TR restoration is a favour for a terminally ill friend. The aluminium car in the background is a Cooper Bobtail, waiting for the customer to collect.
If the customer doesn't collect soon, you'd prob be wanting to move it on then???? Wishful thinking. Does that have the Coventry Climax engine? Back in the 70s, I passed up a Cooper MG in Brisbane - $300 because it was missing the original Marshall supercharger (which I had). Let's not go too far into things one should have bought - or never have sold.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
If the customer doesn't collect soon, you'd prob be wanting to move it on then???? Wishful thinking. Does that have the Coventry Climax engine? Back in the 70s, I passed up a Cooper MG in Brisbane - $300 because it was missing the original Marshall supercharger (which I had). Let's not go too far into things one should have bought - or never have sold.
Yes it has the Coventry Climax. When it came in it had hit the barrier side on at 100 mph. It was in a bit of a state!
Yeah, best not to dwell on the what ifs!

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
I've got a polished one of those in my tool box called a spoon .
Spoon, flipper, slapper. All the same. Our apprentice recently bought a set of Snap on ones. He paid an eyewatering amount for them. He still borrows my old slappers made from car leaf springs as the Snap on ones are just rubbish!
I made two. Each one took me around an hour to shape properly. It's all about the cross curvature, weight and balance.

Here is my Shiny Spoon, I've had it since the 70's, it is the shiniest of my tools and used to be covered in wax crayon. Used in a glancing fashion to remove large dents.
I've admired your work from a laptop .
IMGP6992.JPG

Yes ! I didn't make it but I have looked after it over the years.
Along with a pull/ sucker and the Shiny Spoon a lot of large dents became no more.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Back to the plot.. ..

The rear light I've bought is actually ment to be fitted to the lower part of the rear mudgaurd. My rear mudgaurd is too short to fit the light to so im going to fix it under the seat.
It's also ment to be used with a dynamo but I don't want to use one of those. So I'll make a battery holder and switch inside the seat.
First I need to make a bracket to mount it to the seat post.
I cut a section off some stainless tube and made a slot
20180223_135948.jpg

Then I welded two tabs on
20180223_141406.jpg

Then drilled for a pinch bolt and rounded the tabs
20180223_143039.jpg

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
This gives me a mounting point for the actual bracket. This is also made from a section of stainless tube, larger diameter this time
20180226_183459.jpg

I'll be finishing this in the morning as I got a bit side tracked tonight with the battery mounting!
I cut out a card template then transferred it to a piece of aluminium. Using various blunt instruments and a sandbag I persuaded it into shape :smile:
20180226_180547.jpg

Then I mounted the battery holder and switch I bought from Maplin
20180226_181854.jpg

20180226_181902.jpg

I'm hoping to finish the fabrication in the morning.

Top Bottom