Loose Brompton luggage mounting block

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have one of these that I fitted to my bike. It's tightened to the correct torque and the mounting screws feel sufficiently tight.
I do notice that there is a little bit of play if I waggle it from side to side and am a bit concerned that it should be a snug fit.

Has anyone noticed the same? I'm considering a thin rubber gasket might eliminate the play and damped any vibration through the block.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
If I remember correctly, I ended up putting another one of the metal plates from an old luggage block in and it stopped the wobbling. Your thin rubber gasket idea would do the trick I'd think, probably better than my solution. It's certainly worth a try.

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
If I remember correctly, I ended up putting another one of the metal plates from an old luggage block in and it stopped the wobbling. Your thin rubber gasket idea would do the trick I'd think, probably better than my solution. It's certainly worth a try.
Yes, your reply got me thinking. The plate is probably a tad too thin and the fixing bolts are bottoming out.
Trying to tighten it further would only shear the bolts so an extra washer is indeed the answer

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
Have you replaced the screws?.. from memory standard M5x12 are slightly too long
I bought the Brompton luggage mount kit which came with all the screws / plate etc. The fixing bolts had blue loctite pre applied.
I'll try a stainless steel washer under each hex bolt and see if that fixes the problem

Top Bottom