Loose Spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I just noticed when locking my bike up at work this morning, that I have a loose spoke. I haven't checked properly, but I think it is only the one spoke.
Is this something that I can fix myself? I have the Lidl tool kit with a spoke tensioner in it, can I use this and just be careful not to over tighten it?
Will I still be okay to cycle home with it? I don't know how long the spoke has been loose for.

The thing to do is to but some tape on it just to mark it so you dont for get which one it is. Then use your Lidl ? tool kit to take out the slack then spin the wheel and see if there is a kink where the loose spoke was if so tighten the spoke left to it ( on the same side) then The spoke then the one to the right just do 1/4 turns. If the wheel is all over the place just take it into your LBS to do it will save you lots of time.

P.s. is it a new wheel?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
spandex said:
The thing to do is to but some tape on it just to mark it so you dont for get which one it is. Then use your Lidl ? tool kit to take out the slack then spin the wheel and see if there is a kink where the loose spoke was if so tighten the spoke left to it ( on the same side) then The spoke then the one to the right just do 1/4 turns. If the wheel is all over the place just take it into your LBS to do it will save you lots of time.

P.s. is it a new wheel?

No, it's the original wheel that came with the bike I bought in October last year. I'll have a look tonight, hopefully it'll be okay, I haven't noticed the tyre rubbing on the brakes or anything so if it is out of true it's not by that much (I hope!).

Thanks

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It is an easy job to do, but one that if you are not careful can do a lot of damage to the wheel. Tighten the spoke as said before, a 1/4 turn at a time until it is tightish then check the trueness of the wheel. ie not rubbing on the brake blocks, then continue in small increments untill the wheel is true.

Plax said:
No, it's the original wheel that came with the bike I bought in October last year. I'll have a look tonight, hopefully it'll be okay, I haven't noticed the tyre rubbing on the brakes or anything so if it is out of true it's not by that much (I hope!).

Thanks

If its a new bike ish and has not had its first sirvice book it into the shop you got it from as ALL new bikes get the first one free in the first year just so all the bits can be tweked wheels, brakes, gears, all the bolts.... Its worth doing and its free just phone them and tell them that you need to book your bike in for its first free service.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
spandex said:
If its a new bike ish and has not had its first sirvice book it into the shop you got it from as ALL new bikes get the first one free in the first year just so all the bits can be tweked wheels, brakes, gears, all the bolts.... Its worth doing and its free just phone them and tell them that you need to book your bike in for its first free service.

Mmmm, one of the disadvantages of buying off the 'net I suppose. I got my bike off Wiggle. One of the guys at work is mates with some guys that have a bike shop and keeps recommending them so if all else fails I can always take it to them and name drop!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well, I've tightened the spoke up as much as I dare to. Spun the wheel and it looks ok. Not rubbing on the brakes and doesn't look out of true. I keep checking it each time I ride it, and so far so good. It could probaby do with being tightened some more but I'm too scared to in case I damage the wheel.
I'll have to take it for a service in the next few months, certainly if (actually more like when) I get a new bike. don't want to be selling on a duffer!

Top Bottom