lorries and cyclists' safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my employer is a large supplier of building products (SIG plc) and as such have a large fleet of lorries. they are concerned about the number of cyclists who have been killed and injured on the roads (not by them, but generally) and are being proactive in engaging with cyclists and showing them not just some of the new innovations on the lorries that encourage safety, but also letting them sit in the cab and see for themselves how limited a driver's view is.

as part of this, they'll be road safety awareness at the don valley bowl during stage two of the tour de france on sunday 6 july. as part of their “exchanging places” campaign, our logistics team will be displaying a vehicle in the bowl and giving members of the public the opportunity to see the road from “a different seat – a different view”.

normally i wouldn't come on here and promote a company, but in this case i think it's a case of credit where it's due, and that at least one company is doing more than just complining about red light jumpers. they did the same at sheffield bike week not long ago too.

Does the 'exchanging places" part include the drivers getting on bikes to see what's its like when a lorry pulls up alongside you or close passes you? Or is it just to allow cyclists see how tough it is being a lorry driver with all these cyclists everywhere and should be just staying out of the lorry's way?

Last edited:

MitchMan

Regular
I think to be meaningful it should definitely include 'changing places' as 0-markymark-0 has suggested. In the same way that doing a motorbike driving test makes you a MUCH better driver when in a car.

MitchMan

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I agree about the comments of lorry drivers on bikes, but it is still good to have the opportunity to sit in a cab and see what the view is like, especially if it gets the message to some cyclists who aren't more aware around lorries.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Tough crowd.

Dangerous vehicles, irresponsible industry...

...as above, it is a good idea that the are coming to exchange, I applaud them for that. However, I do hope that they understand the word 'exchange' and see what it's like for the cyclists too rather than just preaching to them

If they did that, I think many would think it is a great worthwhile exercise.

KneesUp

Guru
I think it's reasonable to assume that more 'lorry drivers' have also ridden a bike than 'cyclists' have sat in a lorry, surely?

Why do you all seem to assume that 'lorry driver' and 'cyclist' are mutually exclusive?

If one of you drive a lorry for a living, would you identify yourself as a cyclist or a lorry driver? Or just a person?

I think it's also reasonable to assume that more cyclists know about the actual dangers posed to them by lorries than lorry drivers know about what its like to be close passed, pulled-up alongside etc etc etc

Education is needed both ways but above, it seems to be one-sided. It is a perfect opportunity to have both experience in this exchange, so why is that (apparently) not happening? Maybe if the op could reassure that the drivers are also there to learn, then maybe it will be seen as a less cynical event.

Top Bottom