Lorry blind spots.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
This video was posted in another thread but I think many (including me) may have skipped past it.

For the sake of a minute it's deffinitely worth watching.

This is not a debate about good/ bad driving etc just interesting to see if from the drivers point of view and something to keep in mind when you come up to a lorry on the road.

View: https://youtu.be/Y9E1_1M-qhU

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not wanting to detract from an otherwise very much needed info campaign to enlighten non-commercial vehicle drivers about the existence and dangers of blindspots, but that vid and the shot at 7s shows a terribly badly set up wide angle mirror (the lower one) and intentionally cuts the down view mirror above the door out of shot!
The lower wide angle mirror is half full of a view of the cab and if properly set would have a sliver of cab and a hell of a lot more road (cyclists) in view.

Still an eye-opener to many cyclists though so a valid attempt.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm sure there'll be plenty of folk queueing up to tell you that the video is wrong. My avatar caused a bit of a stink a while back so i changed the message from the original. The mirrors on the truck in the video may be set up incorrectly... so may the mirrors on trucks on the road. Even if the mirrors are set up perfectly, the driver may be too busy looking at the satnav to notice anything near their vehicle. Best avoided IMO.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The mirrors on the truck in the video may be set up incorrectly... so may the mirrors on trucks on the road. Even if the mirrors are set up perfectly, the driver may be too busy looking at the satnav to notice anything near their vehicle. Best avoided IMO.
He is very right, and I forgot to mention it in my post. Don't rely on mirrors being set optimally or used effectively!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4874133, member: 9609"]I wouldn't assume he has seen me even if I can see him, keep in a position where he can't run you over even if he wanted to[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying that they have seen me but if I cannot see the driver then they haven't got a chance to.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of folk queueing up to tell you that the video is wrong. My avatar caused a bit of a stink a while back so i changed the message from the original. The mirrors on the truck in the video may be set up incorrectly... so may the mirrors on trucks on the road. Even if the mirrors are set up perfectly, the driver may be too busy looking at the satnav to notice anything near their vehicle. Best avoided IMO.
Are you eyes in your balls cos that's where the camera is?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 4874249, member: 45"]The video is dishonest and fraudulent. The driver would have been able to see many of those cyclists using his mirrors.[/QUOTE]
I think we can all agree that through selective mirror positioning and unrealistic camera angles the blind spot has been exaggerated for maximum shock effect. However, @User even if you thought the driver could see you would you ride into and stop in the space occupied by any of those cyclist actors?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The answer is obviously no, but then I wouldn't be driving with such badly adjusted mirrors and also know the value of changing position in the cab to increase the field of view (leaning back/forward, sitting up/crouching down etc) all of which can massively increase the visible area. Having said all that, even with the best mirrors in the world and determination to drive with the very highest levels of attention it is still possible to miss something! Other road users also have a responsibility to not put themselves in danger which if both parties play their part should go a long way to avoiding the type of fatal collisions we fear.

The answer is obviously no, but then I wouldn't be driving with such badly adjusted mirrors and also know the value of changing position in the cab to increase the field of view (leaning back/forward, sitting up/crouching down etc) all of which can massively increase the visible area. Having said all that, even with the best mirrors in the world and determination to drive with the very highest levels of attention it is still possible to miss something! Other road users also have a responsibility to not put themselves in danger which if both parties play their part should go a long way to avoiding the type of fatal collisions we fear.
So we have a very sensible no and no. One is silly cyclists who are placing themselves in potentially a dangerous position reliant on a driver observing the highway code. The other a a silly driver who is likely to kill people by not looking properly where they are going.

Cyclists should learn come cycle craft. Dangerous lorry drivers should have their license removed before killing someone or thrown in prison for 20 years if they do. No amount of poor me videos with incorrect mirrors and cameras in your balls changes that,

[QUOTE 4874305, member: 45"]It depends. There are plenty of times I've happily been stationary in the nearside lane and alongside a truck to my right, and plenty of times when I wouldn't be there.[/QUOTE]
I find myself there on occasion when a lorry pulls up along side me.

I wonder how many times a lorry (or any vehicle for that matter) sees a number of cyclists in a cycle lane but waits behind them leaving a car space or two in front of them? I've been using London's roads for 25 years and not once ever see that happen.

[QUOTE 4874314, member: 45"]I don't think they need to.[/QUOTE]
But if lorry drivers are so adamant its such a dangerous position, and that cyclists who put themselves there have a deathwish....why are they putting cyclists in that position when they could just hold back a couple of car lengths on approach to a junction?

Top Bottom