Lorry blind spots.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I find myself there on occasion when a lorry pulls up along side me.

I wonder how many times a lorry (or any vehicle for that matter) sees a number of cyclists in a cycle lane but waits behind them leaving a car space or two in front of them? I've been using London's roads for 25 years and not once ever see that happen.
You are small and squashy, put yourself somewhere where you can't be squeezed by a lorry, either in front of or behind it.

There is no point in expecting motorists to be competent at positioning because either they are too stupid to (see 50% of people who position to turn right by stopping at a 45degree angle opposite the junction), can't be bothered or just don't understand that it is uncomfortable to have two tonnes of metal passing 8cm from your elbow.

I always stop in the centre of an ASL (or in the centre at the front if no ASL) because if you keep to the left a taxi or motorcycle or both will decide to share your space too. Even being in the centre doesn't stop motorcyclists but at least they tend to be quick off the mark if you don't mind breathing in nasty exhaust in the meantime.

When they teach you to drive they say assume everyone else is an idiot. It's the same with cycling except you must use positioning to actively prevent idiocy.

You are small and squashy, put yourself somewhere where you can't be squeezed by a lorry, either in front of or behind it.

There is no point in expecting motorists to be competent at positioning because either they are too stupid to (see 50% of people who position to turn right by stopping at a 45degree angle opposite the junction), can't be bothered or just don't understand that it is uncomfortable to have two tonnes of metal passing 8cm from your elbow.

I always stop in the centre of an ASL (or in the centre at the front if no ASL) because if you keep to the left a taxi or motorcycle or both will decide to share your space too. Even being in the centre doesn't stop motorcyclists but at least they tend to be quick off the mark if you don't mind breathing in nasty exhaust in the meantime.

When they teach you to drive they say assume everyone else is an idiot. It's the same with cycling except you must use positioning to actively prevent idiocy.
And what happens when I stop and a lorry pulls up along side me? Say in an adjacent lane?

If you are in the centre of your lane how could it pull up alongside you?
in an adjacent lane. Plenty of two lane junctions in London, especially if you include bus lanes. Happens all the time. Pull up alongside up to 30 other cyclists. Centre of my lane. Lorry/bus/coach pulls up along side in adjacent lane. I'm in it's blind spot according to the daft video upthread. Does the lorry not pull up along side? Does it bollox.

[QUOTE 4874373, member: 45"]That's not really what they're saying though is it? It's only an issue if the bikes shouldn't be there and they're about to do something contrary to the road layout.[/QUOTE]
This video is different to the cyclist racing the lorry. This video has been around for years saying how stupid it is for cyclists to squeeze up the inside of lorries. But never a mention of lorries pulling alongside cyclists which happens regularly to me. No doubt I would be blamed for being there though...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This video is different to the cyclist racing the lorry. This video has been around for years saying how stupid it is for cyclists to squeeze up the inside of lorries. But never a mention of lorries pulling alongside cyclists which happens regularly to me. No doubt I would be blamed for being there though...
so we have one scenario where cyclists 'squeeze up the inside of lorries' and the lorry driver may be unaware of their presence... and another where a lorry pulls alongside some cyclists and the driver is presumably aware of their presence?

Drago

Legendary Member
If we weren't part of a needless, rampant consumer society, there wouldn't be half as many trucks on the road. Spare a thought along those lines next time you decide your perfectly serviceable smartphone is no longer cutting edge enough. Its us creating the demand for these vehicles.

Top Bottom