Losing energy in my legs, before losing my breath - what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
If I did that every time I ran out of gears I could take up walking instead!

Lee_M

Guru
Don't smoke, never have

I am 6'3" and weigh 15 st though which doesn't make life easy up hill

Lee_M

Guru
No......... keep going, suffer like buggery, at less than walking pace, get sooooooo slow that you can't unclip in time and gently topple over like a slowly falling tree :smile:

I don't suffer, I just can't push the gear on some of the hills

And anyway as I proved on Monday I can topple outside a cafe, I don't need a hill

If I did that every time I ran out of gears I could take up walking instead!

Many years ago, we used to take the granny rings off our MTBs for racing - the rationale was that if you ever needed to drop down to the granny ring, you were quicker walking/running anyway. We never actually tested the science, but anecdotally, it seemed to make sense...

BLUE(UK)

Typical ignorant bodybuilder stance really. Your muscle mass and squat ability have zero relevance to cycling.

To cycling on the whole or distance cycling because you have left yourself wide open to ridicule. Drago didn't say whether he did high rep sets as well as or what other assistance work he does.

I am also like Drago, I lift weights and cycle as a hobby/small part of my cardio work. I don't claim to be fast on a bike( i am 17.5st) but i don't really struggle muscularly although my heart rate will be right up there. I can happily do 45miles leisurely pace in 3.5hrs(not balls out) which isn't bad considering I only started a few weeks back and I am riding an hybrid. No previous cardio in a long time. Read into this what you like.

I think a fairer way to test yourself(Black'n' yellow) against Drago would be if you used the same resistance/drag(carry weights so that both bodyweights/wind drag are equal) and riding the same bikes and see how well you ride against him.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
To cycling on the whole or distance cycling because you have left yourself wide open to ridicule. Drago didn't say whether he did high rep sets as well as or what other assistance work he does.
In actual fact, it was you left open to ridicule.
I'm lugging around about 30kg of muscle mass I never used to have before I started 'lifting, but liftings the other sport I'm into so I got a live with it.

I think a fairer way to test yourself(Black'n' yellow) against Drago would be if you used the same resistance/drag(carry weights so that both bodyweights/wind drag are equal) and riding the same bikes and see how well you ride against him.

It doesn't matter how you set up the test - the rider with the best cardio would still win.

Top Bottom