Losing energy in my legs, before losing my breath - what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So a world class marathon runner/or sprinter would be better than yourself on a bike if they have better cardio?

You've lost me. Earlier on I was meant to be having a race with Drago - and now I'm supposed to be racing a world class marathon runner and/or sprinter..?? :smile:

By the way - you do know that there would be a bit of a difference in capability between a sprinter and a distance runner, don't you.?

Could you be clearer about what it is you're asking?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Care to elaborate?
You didn't read the thread did you? Bit silly to comment and suggest that someone else may be open to ridicule when you yourself haven't got or ignored the facts :laugh:

BLUE(UK)

Yes I do know there would be a difference but both would have 'good cardio' as you put it.

The reason I posted about the runners, both would have good cardio vascular fitness(2 different types as well) yet it is very unlikely either would beat you on a bike if you're a regular racer. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that out and nor does it to see why.

Yes I do know there would be a difference but both would have 'good cardio' as you put it.

The reason I posted about the runners, both would have good cardio vascular fitness(2 different types as well) yet it is very unlikely either would beat you on a bike if you're a regular racer. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that out and nor does it to see why.

er, ok - but I'm still not sure what point you are making. I never actually suggested any of the above - in fact, I think you were the one that brought it up..?

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Oh boy! Why all this arguing? Jeez!
I think we're losing track of the original point to this thread: helping Boris Bike rather than bickering! The thing is, everyone is different: perhaps weights work for Drago, maybe they don't for black'n'yellow, I dunno. Personally I think you need to consider the following:
1) How long have you been doing this? It may take a bit more time than you think.
2) Just when exactly are you going to quit smoking - but I don't need to say anything else about this
3) Rest is important - do you alternate between cycling and non-cycling days?
4) Has anyone mentioned diet?

Norm

I wouldn't consider myself super-fit by any means, but I've been cycling to work an average of 3 times a week for the last month (17 miles round trip) and I've got to the stage where my legs start to get tired before I start to run out of breath.

Anything I can do? Eat more carbs? Some weight training on the legs? Attach a motor to the bike?

When I'm at the stage where I'm out of breath before my legs hurt, then I'll start thinking about giving up smoking :smile:
IMO, and as others have said, change gears and spin faster. If my legs tire, it's nearly always because I've left a gear change too late when climbing and I'm working too hard in too high a gear.

IMO, and as others have said, change gears and spin faster. If my legs tire, it's nearly always because I've left a gear change too late when climbing and I'm working too hard in too high a gear.

which is otherwise known as............wait for it................lack of aerobic fitness..!!! wahey and we're back to page 1 again... :biggrin:

Top Bottom