Losing my bearings.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PickleClaw

Hi all,

I am having some trouble with my horrid Claud Butler Urban 200 hybrid. There is some kind of brass locking ring on my rear wheel that keeps coming loose and my cassette wobbles about, plus I have lost a good few bearings. The ring is about 1.5 inches in diameter and has two small holes either side. I cannot find out what this is actually called and cannot find a tool to tighten it up, I am having to remove my wheel and knock it around with a screwdriver and hammer every few days! I use my bike all the time as I do not own a car and it's driving me to distraction! Can any of you good people help?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i think you mean the cassette lockring. you can buy a tool that fits this from lbs. you will need to replace the lost bearing or the ones that are left will break up and start to damage the bearing races / cups. this is only a guess as i have never owned a claud butler. hth

PickleClaw said:
Hi all,

There is some kind of brass locking ring on my rear wheel that keeps coming loose and my cassette wobbles about, plus I have lost a good few bearings. The ring is about 1.5 inches in diameter and has two small holes either side.

Or is it a screw-on freewheel that looks something like this?

cadet_7speed.jpg

If it's a screw-on you could buy some new bearings and rebuild it (hammer the ring on with a hole punch or something) but it would probably be easier just to get a new freewheel. I wouldn't expect the freewheel to fall apart under normal use unless someone has tried to service it before?

OP
OP
P

PickleClaw

@ Alien8

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like. Thank you to all who took the time to reply, I have lots more to think about now. It has never been serviced so I don't really know why it's come loose, cheap rubbish most likely.

Top Bottom