Losing the helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
left mine off last thursday ...just fancied a change, and went in, in combat shorts and a tee with a pair of sunnies. no backpack, no gear (not even a pair of gloves)

took the scenic route (as much as poss) through the parks and loved it. Even stopped for breakfast with a pal at the tennis club in Hyde park (fav spot for an outdoor latte)

not done it since tho

Cubist said:
^^That's an interesting point, one which the helmet debaters may have missed..... we now have evidence that not wearing a helmet makes you lose the power to steer around inanimate objects. Someone will be along in a minute to start a flame war, as it appers Gaz has found a novel way of kicking off a helmet thread by the backdoor....:biggrin:
There's a theory (risk compensation) if you make an environment feel safer a user will engage in riskier behaviour, however in the period after the safety measure is removed the individual continues to behave more recklessly and is more liable to have an accident. It was noted on some schemes where traffic calming treatment have been implemented; where by making one area safer the surrounding untreated area becomes more dangerous (termed accident migration). By that theory the helmet (safety measure) is still to blame for a subsequent accident.
Its all theory however and my choice is still to wear a helmet, but that's my choice.

BenM

Veteran
On a 'bent my cycle helmet is largely a comfort blanket, and a camera mount, as opposed to a piece of safety equipment.

The only accident I have had on the upwrong, which drove home the usefulness of the helmet I was wearing at the time, just couldn't happen the same on a 'bent; however old habits die hard.

B.

NigC

hackbike 666 said:
.....and mine.....

Mine too..... although I did leave it off for a half-mile journey home after dropping my daughter off for her ballet lesson today: It was pure laziness really - I couldn't be bothered to phaff around getting it out of my backback (normally I carry it).

Cubist

Still wavin'
HLaB said:
There's a theory (risk compensation) if you make an environment feel safer a user will engage in riskier behaviour, however in the period after the safety measure is removed the individual continues to behave more recklessly and is more liable to have an accident. It was noted on some schemes where traffic calming treatment have been implemented; where by making one area safer the surrounding untreated area becomes more dangerous (termed accident migration). By that theory the helmet (safety measure) is still to blame for a subsequent accident.
Its all theory however and my choice is still to wear a helmet, but that's my choice.
We call it "mission creep". If I put all my resources into the area where burglars or car thieves are busiest, they will move to the next neighbourhood. Winning involves being able to second guess where that mission creep will move to, and target harden that area as well. Ever played "Whack a mole" ? The moles rarely engage in helmet debates. They used to, until one smart arse told them that the hammer moves faster than 12mph and is likely to cause rotational injury.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Now, I was'nt going to post that I had done the same as not wanting to start another pointless helmet pro/con ranting thread, but, after wearing a helmet for the past 9 years, I finally got the balls to not wear one. why? Simples, my busted knee means am cycling slower (most of the time) and I am much more confident.

Now yes, just because I am cycling slowly doesnt mean that I wont have anyless of an risk when it comes to numpties on the road, but, as I am now much more of an assertive cyclist, mainly from cycling and learning from others, especially from on here, I am finding that the checking of my surroundings and my eye contact is much better than what was from helmet wearing. And, this effect of a slightly longer stare from a non-helmet wearing cyclist (also one that looks much more 'arder than when helmeted) has a much better effect on drivers around me.

However, back sorta on topic, am sure my helmet keeps my head cooler as its well vented (Giro Monza), but am enjoying the tan!

Plax

Guru
I've stopped wearing my helmet. It was a faff packing it for my 3 week tour so I left it at home and continued not wearing it when I got home. I usually wear a buff or a baseball cap instead.
I tend to only wear it now if it's icey / snowing. All of the roads on my commute are 50 - 60mph speed limits when I leave the village so I figure if I get hit by a car doing 50+ mph a helmet isn't going to be much use. I've decided to become a rebel risk taker ;)

Cubist said:
We call it "mission creep". If I put all my resources into the area where burglars or car thieves are busiest, they will move to the next neighbourhood. Winning involves being able to second guess where that mission creep will move to, and target harden that area as well. Ever played "Whack a mole" ? The moles rarely engage in helmet debates. They used to, until one smart arse told them that the hammer moves faster than 12mph and is likely to cause rotational injury.
I must admit I have mole like qualities, I rarely take part in helmet debates too :smile:; its the same old debates but at the end of the day it should be down to personal choice. I like the hammer analogy though :smile:

gazmercer said:
Anyone else ditching the helmet in the warmer weather ??

The hotter (+90f) it gets the more I'm likely to wear a helmet. The visor helps keeps the sun out of my eyes and the helmet some shade for my scalp. I've the many vents seem to help direct airflow over my head.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've never worn a helmet, I wear a woolly hat in the winter when its cold and that's all I wear.

dave r said:
I've never worn a helmet, I wear a woolly hat in the winter when its cold and that's all I wear.

Some also wear helmets - and that's all they wear as well:

xinsrc_0720602120842218174004.jpg

dondare

Über Member
NigC said:
I can't say I've ever had a problem with sweat while wearing the helmet. I have had problems with a sweaty back thanks to the backback, which is pretty horrible if I'm in a hurry :smile:

Maybe your helmet doesn't provide enough airflow through the holes?

Sometimes I can really believe that you are, in fact, Shrek.

dondare

Über Member
Vikeonabike said:
I'm too much of a wuss, won't be removing mine!

The Allfather wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide your head in a helmet if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear, profits a man nothing.

Top Bottom