Losing the helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Alan Whicker said:
I hate wearing a helmet , but I worry about being dinged by a bus mirror.
Last week I had my hair brushed by the wing mirror of a huge lorry as it thundered by.
If I'd been wearing a helmet then the helmet would've been bashed, and hard. Probably caused me a few rotational injuries and wotnot.

Mycroft

Whats a helmet?

D

Deleted member 1258

Cunobelin said:
Some also wear helmets - and that's all they wear as well:

xinsrc_0720602120842218174004.jpg

:smile::laugh::boxing: very good, I hope they are using plenty of sun screen, sunburn in strange places is likely to make your eyes water.

monnet

Guru
I always wear a cotton cap (except in winter when it's a scull cap) under my helmet. I find the cotton cap soaks up the sweat. Though I admit it doesn't do justice to the caps.

That said, as BC regulations mean you have to wear a helmet when racing it doesn't bother me too much (especially after the 30mph stack I had on chaingang a couple of days ago)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I tried going helmetless last saturday rolling into work for 6am, first time in donkeys years without and felt no different to wearing it.

whether I'd be as brave riding the middle of Fridays rush hour topless with all the extra traffic and greater possibility for wobbles is another matter

One evening last year, I spent 20minutes looking around the office for my helmet; I was convinced somebody had nicked it as a practical joke. When I got home it was sitting there on the sofa :smile: It'd been chilly that morning and I'd cycled to work wearing a skull cap and never noticed that I wasn't wearing a helmet.

shouldbeinbed said:
I tried going helmetless last saturday rolling into work for 6am, first time in donkeys years without and felt no different to wearing it.

whether I'd be as brave riding the middle of Fridays rush hour topless with all the extra traffic and greater possibility for wobbles is another matter

OOOOOOER Missus!

_44489846_8e4d6922-e6ea-4582-9196-840c526d0563.jpg

I refer the gentleman to my earlier post...........

gbb

Legendary Member
I never used to wear a helmet till a colleague got offed this last winter. That made me start wearing. but last week when the weather was good, i realised how sweaty my head was, so now ive modified the times i wear.

Early morning commute, no helmet.
Rush hour commute home, i wear.
Weekend countryside rides in the summer, i'm not going to wear.

I was wondering whether to try no helmet and just a bandana.

I was watching a motorists pass a helmetless cyclist tonight and he gave him a nice bit of space im pleased to say..so i wonder whether the theory that motorists give you more space if not wearing a helmet is true?

Of course that wouldn't apply to every motorist as there are some real clowns out there.

Top Bottom