Losing the mojo...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Time was, the commute to and from work/college was the highlight of my day, but now I've changed job I've found I see the ride as a chore: I even started to ride to the nearest tram stop instead of going as far as practical by bike then catching the tram for the last bit.

The strange thing is the route hasn't changed much in the last few years, in fact both times I changed I was still pretty much following the same way but it got a bit shorter, and some of the nastier and hillier bits of road were removed. The current route is mostly a gentle climb in, so requires very little work to get back.

Strange then, that the return journey is the chore.

The bit I really don't like is a section of shared use cycle path giving out to a shopping centre. I have no idea why I don't like it as it's a bit like cycling through a park, there's nothing especially dangerous and it takes a couple of minutes to traverse. Maybe the large numbers of people puts me on edge.

I suspect it is just that I'm going through the city now instead of fields, but I can't do much about that for the next eight months until my contract ends.

Anyone else lose the fun factor? Hpw do you get it back?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yep I loose some of my mojo from time to time for no reason at all .

Recently instead of getting up and going out for a pre work ride I have rolled over and snoozed .

Hoping it comes back soon ....

subaqua

What’s the point
I agree with all of the above.

I lost the will to cycle for most of July & August. I decided last week that I'd try again - I went out and did two back-to-back 60km rides, loved every second of it … but now I've lost it again. Weird - but it doesn't worry me.

was the heat and pollution in July that did for me.

Julia9054

Guru
I suspect it is just that I'm going through the city now instead of fields, but I can't do much about that for the next eight months until my contract ends.
It will definitely be this.
Anyone else lose the fun factor? Hpw do you get it back?
My Aftershoks Bluetooth headphones and listening to my favourite downloaded radio programme helps.
Just gearing up to going into school to eyeball my classroom after several weeks off, write lists and shuffle bits of paper before school starts officially on Monday. It helps that the sun is shining.

Alan O

Über Member
Like the other things I enjoy, cycling just isn't a "must do" for me. I go cycling when I feel like it, and do other things when I feel more like doing those. I think it's very important for us to only do the things we like when we're actually enjoying them - otherwise we lose a pleasure and gain a chore.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I find I get very bored of doing the same old route when commuting, when you're riding the same roads over and over again it takes the edge off.
Read a bike mag, watch some GCN videos, go for some pleasure rides in the opposite direction to your commute and it'll return.
It happens to us all occasionally.

My commute became a grind, same roads, same hazards same awful weather. Then I got ran over, carried on for a year or so but with nagging doubts then had a couple of very near misses on the same roundabout that if hadn't spotted coming would have killed me. Then I started worrying at night about the commute which killed any joy on the bike and I virtually stopped for a year.
Couple of months ago decide to get the bike out and ride simply for fun, and I've rediscovered my love of it. Did my first 100+ mile ride for years last week and other than a sore bum I loved every minute. Take a break and remember why you like cycling, it's fun.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I lose my mojo on a daily basis. After I've commuted to work, gone out for an hour at lunch, I say to myself I won't ride tomorrow as I ache and I can't be bothered. Then I wake up and decide I am up for it all over again. I've done 3500 miles and 150,000 feet thus far in 2018.

Top Bottom