Losing the mojo...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
Same problem for me as well. Started a new job early last month promising myself I would drive to work, come home and go out for a spin or jump on Zwift, I cant face either after a tough day of taking so much in. I have even got all my kit ready to commute at least every other day and as I only work 3 miles away needs to extend it to make it worth the hassle but still cant be bothered.

The worst is I just sold my pride and joy through lack of miles over the past 18 months of having it :sad:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Time was, the commute to and from work/college was the highlight of my day, but now I've changed job I've found I see the ride as a chore: I even started to ride to the nearest tram stop instead of going as far as practical by bike then catching the tram for the last bit.

The strange thing is the route hasn't changed much in the last few years, in fact both times I changed I was still pretty much following the same way but it got a bit shorter, and some of the nastier and hillier bits of road were removed. The current route is mostly a gentle climb in, so requires very little work to get back.

Strange then, that the return journey is the chore.

The bit I really don't like is a section of shared use cycle path giving out to a shopping centre. I have no idea why I don't like it as it's a bit like cycling through a park, there's nothing especially dangerous and it takes a couple of minutes to traverse. Maybe the large numbers of people puts me on edge.

I suspect it is just that I'm going through the city now instead of fields, but I can't do much about that for the next eight months until my contract ends.

Anyone else lose the fun factor? Hpw do you get it back?

My mojo comes and goes. I get in a rhythm for a while and then either an injury or a spell of bad weather puts the mockers on things and then I find it hard to get started again.

At a fundamental level I don't find cycling very exciting, in fact it can be rather dull, it's simply a form of exercise for me.

To get going again I have to really force myself out for a few short c20 mile rides and then I'm away again.

Alan O

Über Member
I set myself a target of 3000 miles this year, 500 more than last year...as of now Strava says 3011 for 2018.. so I've upped it to 4000, I'll give it a go (I've got until 17 November, and then 6 to 31 Dec)
Nice. I've set myself a target of 2018 miles, and I've got 299 to go - it's not a massive target, but it will help get me moving on days when the weather isn't ideal.

bluenotebob

Veteran
At a fundamental level I don't find cycling very exciting, in fact it can be rather dull,

I'm sure most of us can relate to that sentiment. I'm possibly luckier than most because I can usually get out for an hour or two on a traffic-free Greenway and mingle with dog-walkers, joggers, other cyclists etc. On a 3 hour ride yesterday I probably said 'bonjour' a few hundred times - a few of us recognise each other so that's an extra bit of friendliness. It's mostly superficial but it does take the edge of the 'dullness'.

It's often a different story when I'm out on the roads with traffic - rather than relaxing, I'm concentrating on staying safe more than anything else - and there's much less social contact. But the roads around here are mostly quiet - and I can usually drift mentally. Sometimes surprising where my thoughts can take me. I'd wondered about starting a thread titled 'What do you think about when cycling?' back in July - but for probably obvious reasons, I didn't. Maybe now that the website's a lot friendlier it would be a good time ...

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm sure most of us can relate to that sentiment. I'm possibly luckier than most because I can usually get out for an hour or two on a traffic-free Greenway and mingle with dog-walkers, joggers, other cyclists etc. On a 3 hour ride yesterday I probably said 'bonjour' a few hundred times - a few of us recognise each other so that's an extra bit of friendliness. It's mostly superficial but it does take the edge of the 'dullness'.

It's often a different story when I'm out on the roads with traffic - rather than relaxing, I'm concentrating on staying safe more than anything else - and there's much less social contact. But the roads around here are mostly quiet - and I can usually drift mentally. Sometimes surprising where my thoughts can take me. I'd wondered about starting a thread titled 'What do you think about when cycling?' back in July - but for probably obvious reasons, I didn't. Maybe now that the website's a lot friendlier it would be a good time ...

Give it a shot! Could be interesting.

At a fundamental level I don't find cycling very exciting, in fact it can be rather dull, it's simply a form of exercise for me.

I get where you're coming from, if you're just mechanically doing it for the sake of getting exercise it's more than capable of being a grinding chore, particularly if you're chasing arbitrary objectives when you're not feeling it.

At it's best there's nothing like it. I could go on forever about why it's the best activity in the world even though I've barely turned a pedal in a couple of years.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I was full of good intentions when I got up this morning to go for a ride, even a short one, but the weather is against me so the ride is postponed until further notice.

Top Bottom