Losing weight..... Or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive been doing a lot of miles since I signed up for the M2B. I've had my new bike for a week now and I've clocked 88 miles on the computer. So when will I notice the difference with my weight?!?.

My gut feels smaller put I've put 3lbs on this week. Maybe I've turned some fat into muscle?

What is a good diet for cycling? I'm eating a lot but probably all the wrong things.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
...cut out bread and cake* [:tongue: ]. Lots of salad and lean meat.

[*One piece of cake per 50 miles]

Pauluk

Exercise does not always cause any weight loss (rarely in fact), especially as you get older and sometimes exercise can lead people to eat more as their bodies will expect the burnt calories to be replaced, triggering hunger.

Eat sensibly, plenty of vegetables and some fruit every day. Fish and chicken are better for protein than red meat. Pasta and rice are better than potatoes.

As Archie says, reduce bread and cake. Also cut back on things like chocolate, biscuits, ice cream, alcohol, fried food etc.

By all means spoil yourself now and again, but not often. Changing the way you eat and what you eat is going to reduce your weight more effectively than exercise.

Having said that, exercise is very good for you and will help if you eat well.

defy-one

Once you lose a little it's ok to treat yourself once a week. I have a drink in a Friday night and eat what i want over the weekend.
Just keep cycling and it will start to shift. You won't see any great results for the first 2-3 weeks in on the scales,but clothes will fit better and your belly will feel tighter

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Don't ask me about losing weight....when I'm feeling bad I have another look at this chap:

former%2Bpro%2Bcyclist.jpg
Chap? CHAP??? That's me, you cheeky sod:laugh:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Ive been doing a lot of miles since I signed up for the M2B. I've had my new bike for a week now and I've clocked 88 miles on the computer. So when will I notice the difference with my weight?!?.

My gut feels smaller put I've put 3lbs on this week. Maybe I've turned some fat into muscle?

What is a good diet for cycling? I'm eating a lot but probably all the wrong things.

Bike riding alone will not make much of a difference unless you reduce your calorie intake as well. It's all to easy to reward a ride with a treat and fail to see that it's an additional caloric intake.

Weightloss will occur when you use more calories than you ingest.

I routinely rode 100km Audaxes, around 25 per year, and did a three week cycle camping tour every summer with no appreciable weight loss not that I measured my weight before and after every ride. I did one before and after weigh in for a Land's End to John O'Groats ride which took seventeen days. I lost two pounds in a thousand miles of cycling.

I've lost over four stones this year through following the Slimming World eating plan. I've said goodby to crisps, sugary fizzy drinks, biscuits, bread, pies, belly pork, sausages, salami and increased my consumption of fresh fruit, vegetables, lean meat, fish and low/zero fat yogurts.

I miss pies the most - they were a weekly treat.

I've not been brilliantly behaved diet wise this summer but have climbed back on the wagon now that I'm back from my last festival of the year.

One last thing....

You can not turn fat into muscle. It's biologically impossible. You can lose fat and gain muscle which is an entirely different thing.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Don't ask me about losing weight....when I'm feeling bad I have another look at this chap:

former%2Bpro%2Bcyclist.jpg

Hats off to him for having the guts (sic) to demonstrate his affinity with cycling. It's not a pretty sight I admit and I'm sure than I've been able to rival him in the past and, like him, I didn't care what others thought though I did feel sorry for the horse riders who had to struggle with the steeds that I startled as I eclipsed the sun on my approach.

Sara_H

Guru
Bike riding alone will not make much of a difference unless you reduce your calorie intake as well. It's all to easy to reward a ride with a treat and fail to see that it's an additional caloric intake.

Weightloss will occur when you use more calories than you ingest.

I routinely rode 100km Audaxes, around 25 per year, and did a three week cycle camping tour every summer with no appreciable weight loss not that I measured my weight before and after every ride. I did one before and after weigh in for a Land's End to John O'Groats ride which took seventeen days. I lost two pounds in a thousand miles of cycling.

I've lost over four stones this year through following the Slimming World eating plan. I've said goodby to crisps, sugary fizzy drinks, biscuits, bread, pies, belly pork, sausages, salami and increased my consumption of fresh fruit, vegetables, lean meat, fish and low/zero fat yogurts.

I miss pies the most - they were a weekly treat.

I've not been brilliantly behaved diet wise this summer but have climbed back on the wagon now that I'm back from my last festival of the year.

One last thing....

You can not turn fat into muscle. It's biologically impossible. You can lose fat and gain muscle which is an entirely different thing.
+1.
I lost a fair bit of weight pre summer hols - but I was quite careful with my diet to achieve it.

As a tea total vegetarian already, I cut out dairy and complex carbs such as pasta, bread, cake, biscuits etc - diet is a mainly low fat vegan diet (with the addition of fat free yogurt for making dipping sauces and quorn sausages!).

Same as you, I've let it slide whilst I've been enjoying a couple of holidays, and estimate I've regained about half a stone, but have resolved to get back on the wagon once my little trip to Scarborough this week is finished as I rather like how mch easier going uphill feels two stone lighter!

byegad

Legendary Member
12 years ago I was doing very little, and weighed 16st. I got back into cycling and lost 9lbs in two years. That weight varied by a few pounds either way until I started to cut out spuds, rice, pastry and bread. I've lost 1st in 7 weeks with less riding, due to weather and other commitments, than usual.

The reason I'm making a big effort? My bad knee has been diagnosed as Arthritis and the surgeon recommended I lose a chunk of weight to ease my pain until the thing wears out and I need a new knee.

Top Bottom