loss of fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
Bill Gates said:
The answer is it all depends on your level of fitness at the time you stopped training.

For those riders who train all year round and race, if they stopped for say 3 months then it is estimated they would lose half of their aerobic fitness in that time. On the other hand if you started from scratch and trained for 8 weeks then stopped you would lose all of your aerobic fitness within the next 8 weeks.

If you can't get out on the bike then you should do something else to get the heart rate up such as running or swimming or use the turbo. IMO the mistake that most people make is to measure your training levels in terms of miles or hours on the bike. IMO 2-3 hours high quality training a week, (e.g. LT 2 x 20 minutes) on the turbo or rollers, will more than keep you ticking over during periods of bad weather conditions.

This sort of training is best done every other day; so hard one day then next day easy or nothing at all. If it feels too hard then ride easy as the body may not have recovered sufficiently. I also bung in a couple of hours of gym work.

I would always compare this situation with when I was tapering for a particular race. To taper you reduce the mileage and then enhance the quality of the training to produce the performance you want. The same principle applies when you can't get on the bike in the winter. Of course you need the base mileage but training your top end in the warm can be very beneficial as you will notice the next time you ride.

By high quality you mean intervals right? I'm looking to really up my mileage this year and will need to use my turbo loads but should I do a couple of months steady riding before I do intervals? I'm sure I read some where that hard interval training too early can damage capillaries. Is that true?

Brahan

Über Member
Bill Gates said:
The answer is it all depends on your level of fitness at the time you stopped training.

For those riders who train all year round and race, if they stopped for say 3 months then it is estimated they would lose half of their aerobic fitness in that time. On the other hand if you started from scratch and trained for 8 weeks then stopped you would lose all of your aerobic fitness within the next 8 weeks.

If you can't get out on the bike then you should do something else to get the heart rate up such as running or swimming or use the turbo. IMO the mistake that most people make is to measure your training levels in terms of miles or hours on the bike. IMO 2-3 hours high quality training a week, (e.g. LT 2 x 20 minutes) on the turbo or rollers, will more than keep you ticking over during periods of bad weather conditions.

This sort of training is best done every other day; so hard one day then next day easy or nothing at all. If it feels too hard then ride easy as the body may not have recovered sufficiently. I also bung in a couple of hours of gym work.

I would always compare this situation with when I was tapering for a particular race. To taper you reduce the mileage and then enhance the quality of the training to produce the performance you want. The same principle applies when you can't get on the bike in the winter. Of course you need the base mileage but training your top end in the warm can be very beneficial as you will notice the next time you ride.

By high quality you mean intervals right? I'm looking to really up my mileage this year and will need to use my turbo loads but should I do a couple of months steady riding before I do intervals? I'm sure I read some where that hard interval training too early can damage capillaries. Is that true?

Brahan

Über Member
Bill Gates said:

Bill Gates

Brahan said:

I've not heard of that one before. I don't know for sure but very much doubt whether it can cause you any physical harm. Rather that short high intensity interval training is more suited to nearer commencement of racing. You should have completed some weeks of endurance riding and begin to reduce the volume of hours/miles on the road.

You'll lose the benefit of VO2max intervals by doing them too soon, but they won't do you any harm. IMO the turbo training sessions should concentrate on pushing the boundaries of your Lactate Threshold. There is an earlier thread on this: -

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=49257

Bill Gates

Brahan said:

I've not heard of that one before. I don't know for sure but very much doubt whether it can cause you any physical harm. Rather that short high intensity interval training is more suited to nearer commencement of racing. You should have completed some weeks of endurance riding and begin to reduce the volume of hours/miles on the road.

You'll lose the benefit of VO2max intervals by doing them too soon, but they won't do you any harm. IMO the turbo training sessions should concentrate on pushing the boundaries of your Lactate Threshold. There is an earlier thread on this: -

PK99

Legendary Member
Bill Gates said:

i have heard it before, but have no reference, the context was that base training is aiming to promote the growth of capillaries around muscle cells and over stressing of the muscle before these are fully established breaks the newly formed capillaries.

PK99

Legendary Member
Bill Gates said:

i have heard it before, but have no reference, the context was that base training is aiming to promote the growth of capillaries around muscle cells and over stressing of the muscle before these are fully established breaks the newly formed capillaries.

lukesdad

Hang on a minute, slow down. Firstly you ve got to know what your training for. Bill probably trains mainly for tt s Im assuming, and looks to peak at certain times of the season all very focussed. I on the other hand have a long commute every day, focus on long events mainly 24 hr and 100k mtbs. Although as Ive joined a road team this year that may have to change a bit, and look to race as often as I can.

Over the years Ive found that lots of aerobic miles have worked for me with some very good results on the road as well as off road. Some would say I have not achieved my full potential. Maybe I would agree with this to a certain extent, but the point is I love riding my bike. If you train in an aerobic state recovery times are shorter you can ride more often. Of course im not saying I dont do intervals I do them every time I climb and there are lots of climbs round here.

What are you aiming at? Would you prefer to spend Hours in the gym doing weights and turbo training every other day or getting out on your bike and riding every day.
Think about it. Then take a look at the pro s and check there mileages out Cav bangs up to 7 hours a day. Armstrong does 4 hours before b/fast.

I repeat you ve got to know what your training for. Don t train for trainings sake.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
Hang on a minute, slow down. Firstly you ve got to know what your training for. Bill probably trains mainly for tt s Im assuming, and looks to peak at certain times of the season all very focussed. I on the other hand have a long commute every day, focus on long events mainly 24 hr and 100k mtbs. Although as Ive joined a road team this year that may have to change a bit, and look to race as often as I can.

Over the years Ive found that lots of aerobic miles have worked for me with some very good results on the road as well as off road. Some would say I have not achieved my full potential. Maybe I would agree with this to a certain extent, but the point is I love riding my bike. If you train in an aerobic state recovery times are shorter you can ride more often. Of course im not saying I dont do intervals I do them every time I climb and there are lots of climbs round here.

What are you aiming at? Would you prefer to spend Hours in the gym doing weights and turbo training every other day or getting out on your bike and riding every day.
Think about it. Then take a look at the pro s and check there mileages out Cav bangs up to 7 hours a day. Armstrong does 4 hours before b/fast.

I repeat you ve got to know what your training for. Don t train for trainings sake.

Pro racers will work towards a peak two or three times a season. They will use one tour as training to peak for another. The same principles apply to all riders whatever you do; be it social, leisure or racing. You can't be at your best all year round or even maintain best form for more than a few weeks at a time.

Understanding this is the first step to creating a training plan.

jimboalee

PK99 said:

True.

A friend of mine lost a racehorse because of 'burst blood vessels'. Pushing the nag too much , too early.

£20,000 down the drain.

lukesdad

Bill Gates said:
Pro racers will work towards a peak two or three times a season. They will use one tour as training to peak for another. The same principles apply to all riders whatever you do; be it social, leisure or racing. You can't be at your best all year round or even maintain best form for more than a few weeks at a time.

Understanding this is the first step to creating a training plan.

I d rather be at 95 % all year and enjoy it. Than 100% 3 times a year and find it dull or a chore.

PK99

Legendary Member
Bill Gates said:
Training the way you do it's more likely to be 80% all year. ;)

I'd rather be 80% and enjoy my riding than stick rigidly to a training program than inhibits my enjoyment on a daily basis.

Others will prefer to aim for the occasional 100% peak

Bill Gates

PK99 said:
I'd rather be 80% and enjoy my riding than stick rigidly to a training program than inhibits my enjoyment on a daily basis.

Others will prefer to aim for the occasional 100% peak

Which implies that working rigidly to a training programme is not enjoyable. But if you're happy poodling along then that's fine, but this thread is about loss of fitness and this forum is about Health Fitness and training. Forgive me for thinking that what we are debating here is the best way to achieve fitness goals. Not having fun on a bike.

We can all have fun on a bike. On my fun rides I like to pull funny faces at drivers trying to make them laugh or suddenly take both feet of the pedals, putting my legs out to the sides on downhill sections shouting wheeee.

lukesdad

On the point of training programmes a couple of hiccups along the way wouldn t make much difference to mine on yours it could be a whole season down the drain.

Top Bottom