loss of fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Bill Gates said:
Which implies that working rigidly to a training programme is not enjoyable. But if you're happy poodling along then that's fine, but this thread is about loss of fitness and this forum is about Health Fitness and training. Forgive me for thinking that what we are debating here is the best way to achieve fitness goals. Not having fun on a bike.

We can all have fun on a bike. On my fun rides I like to pull funny faces at drivers trying to make them laugh or suddenly take both feet of the pedals, putting my legs out to the sides on downhill sections shouting wheeee.

Why the sarcastic put down?

do you think it added to the useful discussion?

Bill Gates

PK99 said:
Why the sarcastic put down?

do you think it added to the useful discussion?

You could always start a thread on "How to reach 80% of your potential and enjoy yourself on a bike?" or post on a thread debating loss of fitness that

"I'd rather be 80% and enjoy my riding than stick rigidly to a training program than inhibits my enjoyment on a daily basis."

........and expecting to get some serious replies to your post adding usefully to the discussion.

I think my reply just about summed up your contribution, but I agree it did not add usefully to the discussion. That makes two of us.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
On the point of training programmes a couple of hiccups along the way wouldn t make much difference to mine on yours it could be a whole season down the drain.

I didn't know you had a training plan. What is it?

jimboalee

I've been going to the gym and using their upright bike. I'm doing a 30 minute pre-programmed 'Hills' routine involving 1 minute alternative low/high loads. I am now at level 20 which is 150/425 Watts low/high loads.
Through the Autumn, I felt like I was losing some fitness. Since the New Year, I've improved from level 16, 120/325.

425 Watts equates to 5 Watts/kg bodyweight, so according to the 7 W/kg 'holy grail', I'm working at 70%. More work to come.

All of this is so I can ENJOY the Castleton Classic Audax, rather than it being a hurtful, torturous ordeal.

OP
OP
R

r0bbti

lukesdad said:
To enjoy myself. You should try it sometime. You d like it.;)
Well said, Lukes Dad.
Finally back on the bike and not as bad as I had feared, clearly some loss of fitness and will have to build up again, but certainly not back to square one.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
not exactly scientific but…

i recently returned after an injury layoff that saw me off for 2 months. it was a club run when i was told "don't worry, most of us haven't ridden since christmas so you'll be fine". true enough until the last 20km and then i really dropped off the back of a group i'd usually easily keep up with.

i've been out on a training ride today; higher speed but lower milage, and was encouraged by the coughing up of stuff afterwards. although i was flagging a little at the end, i still kept with the group before taking a strategic quicker way home near then end.

stamina takes time to build up again, so tomorrow's hilly club run will be a good test…

Top Bottom